25. Arrangement

'You wanted to talk? Talk.' I cross my arms and sit on the edge of my bed.

Jade stands awkwardly in the center of my room. 'Don't be like that.'

I sigh and start to slip off my shoes. 'Fine, Jade.'

'Blake, please.'

I look up at her, 'Don't do that. Don't play the victim here.'

She wipes her tears away, 'Not everything is my fault!'

I groan. 'God, Jade. I know that.. but I would never say something so horrible to you.'

She frowns. 'I didn't mean it.'

'Yes you did.' I shake my head, scoffing. 'You subconsciously mean everything you say.'

Her small feet are quick to move until they're right in front of me. 'Blake, I didn't.'

She crouches down on her knees and holds my face in her hands.

'You mean everything to me, Blake.' Her voice is pleading. 'I love you.'

I almost cave, almost. 'Maybe that's not enough.'

Her fingers slip from my face and fall defeated onto her lap. A breath passes her lips as she stares at me, dumbfounded. 'But-'

'Jade you don't understand how much I love you. How in love I am with you.' Rubbing my hands down my face, I explain further. 'It's like you're always on my mind. Everything I did, before Marcus, was for you. I made something of myself for you to come back to. Now I feel like I wasted a lot of energy and love on a woman who doesn't appreciate me like I cherish her.'

Her tears stream in steady waves. 'I do appreciate you. You're my best friend, the love of my life, and the father of my child.'

A small smile forms on my lips. 'I know baby. But imagine everything you feel for me.. everything. Now double it, no, triple it. That's what I feel for you.'

She shakes her head. 'Blake, I know what you're trying to do.'

I ignore her plea. 'Our love is toxic.. it's eating away at me.'

She slumps against me. 'Please don't Blake. Please.'

Sucking in all the pain her devastated voice caused, I did what I had to do. 'From now on, I want Marcus every bye week and at least two weeks of the month. You can have Christmas so he can be with your mom and Gordon. I get Thanksgiving and New Years.'

Her sobs started getting louder. 'Blake..'

'I don't want to involve courts with Marcus. But I do want part time custody of him.'

She looks up at me with bloodshot eyes. 'You're really doing this?'

I nodded and wiped the tears from her cheek away with the pad of my thumb. 'I will always love you Jade. No matter what happens. But like you said, I need to focus on being a parent before being a co-parent.'

She leans her head against my hand. 'Fine, Blake. If this is what you think is right, I'll agree to whatever you want. Marcus will stay with me for two weeks and then with you for two weeks.'

I lift her up off the ground and sit her beside me on the bed. 'What about when he starts school next year?'

'I have a school set up for him to attend in Philadelphia..' She looks at me under her wet eyelashes.

I nod, 'I'll get him thanksgiving break and summer break. And some long weekends throughout the school year. He can stay with you for school.'

She nods slowly. 'Do you think he'll be happy?'

I pull her into my arms. 'Of course he will. He has two parents that love him more than life itself.'

She clings to my shirt. 'I'm sorry it had to come to this.'

'Me too, Jade.' I kiss her forehead. 'Now lets gets some sleep.'

I lay her back in my bed and wrap the covers around her.

'I'll take the spare bed, good night Jade.' I turn towards the door.

'Blake?'

I speak without turning, afraid of the look in her eyes. 'Yeah?'

'Can you hold me tonight? Just until I fall asleep?'

I hesitate but concede. 'Sure.'

I turn back to her and pull my shirt over my head. Clad in a pair of sweatpants I climb into bed beside her. She cautiously leans against my front. My arms wrap around her waist and my nose buries in her hair.

She hums, 'Good night Blake.'

I place a soft kiss on the back of her neck. 'Good night Jade.'

*~*~*

I wake up in the cold spare bedroom. The fan above me squeaks every time it spins.

Getting away from the sound, I slip out of bed and into the hallway.

I peak into Marcus' room to see him sleeping silently. Across the hall I hear Jade moving around in my room.

I squeeze my eyes shut at the pain I remember seeing in her eyes last night.

Before she comes out I creep down the stairs and into the kitchen.

I pull out eggs, milk, bread and some fresh fruit.

While I'm standing, facing the stove, I hear Jade enter the kitchen. I expect her to say something but instead I hear the counter stool slide out.

'Morning.' I mutter as I turn around with a plate of eggs, toast and cut up cantaloupe.

'Morning to you.' She says as she takes the plate. 'This looks great, thank you.'

'You're welcome.' I stick a piece of toast in my mouth. 'Marcus up yet?'

She shakes her head. 'I'll let him sleep for a while longer.'

I look down at the counter as the awkward silence that we've never had passes through me. 'Uh, do you want to start your two weeks with Marcus today when you fly home, or should he stay here for another two weeks.'

Her answer is immediate. 'I'll take him home.'

I frown, but don't say anything. 'Then I'm going to get him up so I can take him out for the day. When's your flight?'

'Four o'clock.'

I nod but I'm already trudging up the stairs to Marcus.

'Hey dad!' Marcus sits up on his bed as soon as I step into his room.

'You hungry bud?'

He nods.

'I made you eggs and fruit just like you like.'

He smiles, 'Get my crutches!'

I grab them and then pick him up and haul him to the kitchen.

After he eats and I clean the dishes before Jade can offer to do so, she takes Marcus back upstairs to get him ready for the day.

When he's done I meet him at the bottom of the stairs.

'You ready buddy?'

Marcus nods and trudges towards the door on his crutches. I turn back to Jade, 'Make yourself at home. We'll be back before your flight.'

She nods and wipes a few tears that escape. 'That's fine. I'm sorry I'm being emotional.'

Even though I'm not sure why she's crying I nod, 'Its okay Jade.'

I turn and follow Marcus out to my truck.