Chapter One

Warning: the following will be used throughout the story-
Abuse
Depression
Suicide
Drug use

"Hibiki, can we go now? Everyone is waiting for us to show up," I walked over to the mirror and checked my make up. No sign of the bruises.

"I don't think we should go, babe. I made plans with the guys," he called from the bedroom.

"But we already said we would show up, and it's Mira's birthday dinner. We can't miss this," I stuck my head out of the bathroom doorway to see if he at least had gotten dressed. He had, but not particularly presentable.

"It's always the same. 'Oh it's Mira's birthday', 'Elfman and Evergreen are getting married', 'its Cana's 20 year anniversary since joining the guild'. There is always something that we need to go to."

"We go to your guild mates events too. Just last week we went with Eve and his girlfriend to dinner when they announced she was pregnant."

"So? I feel like I never have guy time anymore."

'You went out drinking last night,' I thought to myself, knowing better than to say it out loud.

"It's only for a few hours. Then we can come home and you can do what you want." When he didn't respond, I knelt down in front of him and looked up into his eyes. "Please? For me?"

There was a jolt and I could already feel the pain before it hit me. I fell to the floor, my forehead meeting the corner of the night stand on the way. He had slapped me across the face, leaving a fresh hand print on my right cheek. The sound of skin meeting skin rang in my ears, it was deafening. All I could do was lay like an idiot, arms curled up around my face for protection, on the floor in front of him. I couldn't even cry now.

"Don't look at me like that. Hurry up and let's go already," he grumbled. His eyes wouldn't meet mine as he got up and left our bedroom.

A few seconds passed. I pushed myself up off the floor and retreated to the bathroom. Taking a glance in the mirror, my forehead had a small tear of bloody flesh. The hand print on my face was red and vibrant. So much for no marks showing. I quickly added a few touch ups to hide the print and stuck a bandaid over the cut.

"Lets go, Lisanna!" Hibiki yelled from the living room. I didn't take another moment to check my appearance and dashed over to where he was. Sliding my heels on and grabbing my bag, I followed him out of our apartment.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Lisanna, you made it!" Mira gave me a cheeky smile, greeting us at the guild hall's front doors. Her smile faded the slightest when she saw who was with me. "And Hibiki. Glad you two could come, you're the last ones to arrive."

"Yeah, Lisanna was taking forever with her make up," Hibiki laughed, pointing a thumb at me.

Mira's eyes met mine, waiting expectantly for me to say something.

"He's right, I shouldn't have spent so much time trying dress up. I think I may have over dressed," I forced out, faking the best smile I could. She didn't seem convinced, but shrugged anyway.

"Lisanna and Hibiki are here," she called out over her shoulder. "Come on, everyone is ready to eat," she grabbed my wrist and lead me to one of the various of decorated tables.