Chapter Six

"Bickslow?" I couldn't process what was going on.

"If you want me to put you down, the answer is no. You are in no shape to be walking on these blistered feet," he took off my heels and showed the throbbing patches.

"What are you doing here? I haven't seen you around in ages.. You weren't at Mira's birthday party?"

"You noticed? I didn't think anyone would care if I just disappeared for a while."

"That's not true, you're a Fairy Tail member, you will never be forgotten. But anyway, why did you show up now? You weren't at the dinner?"

"I come back every year on your birthday. I never expect to see you here, so this is a surprise."

"Did you.. know about Hibiki?"

"Everyone knows about Hibiki. You were in such a fragile state, though, that no one knew what to do."

"Oh.."

He kept walking, every once and a while his hands would tighten around me. If he was struggling or thought I was heavy, he wasn't showing it. He carried me up the steps to Mira's house.

"Do you have a key?" He asked.

"Yeah, there's one tapped to the table under that pot," I pointed at the outside decoration.

He let go of my legs, accidentally letting them fall. I gasped, wrapping my arms around his neck and burying my face into his chest.

"It's ok. I got you," he lowered me to the ground. He grabbed the key and unlocked the door. "Do you want me to pick you back up?"

"No, I think I'm fine," I walked in. He trailed behind me. "Oh, you can go home if you don't want to stay here with me. Mira should be coming home sometime." I hoped he would stay.

He stood there, staring into my eyes. "If you say so." Fear rose in me as he turned.

"Wait!" I tripped, my arms falling around his waist, pressing against him. "Please don't leave, I'm scared of being alone."

He spun around, "I know. I wasn't going to go. I was hoping to get a reaction like this out of you." He put his finger under my chin, tilting it so we were looking at each other. "Smile a little, you shouldn't be upset on your birthday."

I sighed, "Lately everyone has been saying things like that. It's like everyone is acting different when I'm around."

"Well, everyone has grown up since you've been gone. Now," he placed both of his pointer fingers on either corner of my lips, pushing them upwards. "Smile. For me, please?"

I rolled my eyes, showing my teeth. "There. I need to go change and wash off my make up."

"I'll be here. Call if there is any trouble." I nodded and ran up the stairs. I could hear a drumming in my ears, it was so loud. Wait, is that my heart? Why is it beating so fast? And my cheeks feel warm.

I sighed and went to the guest bedroom, taking makeup wipes to the vanity. It took me ages to removed the layers of foundation. My eye was still badly bruised, but I could open it now. And the scratch on my forehead was a tiny dent, barely noticeable unless you searched for it.

I tried to get out of my dress, but Erza tied the corset so tightly, I couldn't free myself.

"Bickslow," I called down the hall.

"What's up?" He walked in, not mentioning the drastic change in my facial features.

"Can you untie my corset?" He nodded and I turned around. When he had undone the string, the sleeves slid a little off my shoulders.

"Are these bite marks?" He asked, running his finger over the small pink spots.

"Yeah, they should be gone soon enough. Thank you."

He left, closing the door softly behind him. I don't know why, but I felt comfortable around him. But I mean, I seem to be more open lately.

I slipped out of the dress, carefully hanging it back up on its hanger. I'll need to return it to Lucy next time I see her. I pulled on a long sleeve, crop top that had "ready to take a nap" printed across the chest, and a pair of thigh high gym shorts. I wanted to let my stitches air out after being trapped in such a tight space. Taking the clip out, I decided to wash my hair tomorrow.

I walked back down to the living room, finding Bickslow sitting on the couch. I sat on the opposite end, sitting with my legs crossed on the seat, facing him. He looked at me and gave a half smile. I returned it and laid my head back against the cushion.

"Twelve stitches. He really did a number on you."

"You're telling me."

I could feel his eyes on me for a while, running up and down every little imperfection.

"I think you look prettier without all the make up on. It's like it's hiding everything that is perfect about you."

"What's so perfect about a black eye and bite marks? They are embarrassing and I only get looks of pity."

"I see them as victories. You may have the scars he left on you, but that just shows you are a strong survivor. You fought till the very end. And that's what beautiful looks like."

I blushed and looked away from him. "Thank you..."

With that, the front door opened and in came a worried Mira.

"Oh my god, Lisanna! You scared me back there!" She dashed over, hugging me over the back of the couch.

"I'm sorry, but look. Bickslow found me," I gestured towards him.

"Hey, buddy. Where have you been?" Laxus had walked in behind Mira.

"Occupying myself with job requests. I have nothing better to do, so," he rubbed his neck.

"You should slow down, stick around for a while. Things aren't the same without you, and now that Lisanna is back, maybe the guild hall will be more lively."

He locked eyes with me. "I think I might do that."

Short chapter to balance out the long one from earlier. But yay! Two chapters in one day!! I hope you enjoy!