Chapter Twelve

"Please, I didn't mean to kill her," I threw my arms up in front of my face as a shield from the two men before me.

"You shouldn't have left home, Lisanna," Hibiki chuckled, a hint of insanity behind it.

"It's all your fault, Lisanna," Bacchus had the same insane tone as Hibiki. They each took a step towards me.

"I didn't mean to," my fingers moved over my face to my hair, gripping clumps.

"It's all your fault," they giggled in unison. Bacchus flashed his flashlight in my face while Hibiki clicked out his pocket knife.

"I'm sorry," I cried, shaking my head. My breathing was quick and short, my heart racing. Their shadows cast over me and I looked up in horror. They grinned maniacally down at me. "Please, stay away!" Hibiki thrusted his knife at me.

"No!" I screeched, jolting up in bed. Sweat blanketed my prickled skin. Chills coursed through my body, teeth chattering and eyes threatening to leak.

"Lisanna?" Bickslow was out of his chair in a second, kneeling down beside the bed, hands clasped around my wrist.

"Are you ok? What happened?" Mira ran into the room.

"Where am I?" My head was spinning.

"The hall infirmary. Hey, calm down, take some deep breaths," Bickslow rubbed his hand over mine. I realized I was still panting and slowed down, looking at the ceiling.

"What was all the commotion about?" Mira asked, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Uhm," I used my free hand to wiped sweat off my forehead, "Just a nightmare. I don't remember what happened." Just a nightmare, I hope.

Mira shared a look with Bickslow as if they could read each other's minds.

"I'll go get some wet cloths and new bedding," he squeezed my hand. Looking to me now, he said, "I'm here if you want to talk about anything." I nodded. He got up and left the room.

"He loves you, ya know," Mira smiled.

"I don't know if love is the right word, I think it's more of a caring gesture." My eyes darted towards the door. "But he did say I was the girl he fell for."

"See! I knew it. But just between you and me," she leaned up to my ear and whispered, "Natsu has been talking with Bickslow a lot since you've returned."

"What?" I said a little too loudly.

"Shh, it's not that big of a deal. I thought it was fishy though, you said you told him that you liked him, and he turned you down. But now he's talking to Bickslow of all people."

"He hasn't talked to Bickslow when I was around?"

"I guess since you were sleeping, he took his chance."

"Why couldn't I have been around when-"

"Hey," Lucy cut me off, entering the room. "Lisanna, oh my god." She smiled her way over to me and ruffled my hair. "You seriously had us scared there, what happened?"

"Bickslow didn't tell you?" I asked, surprised that the guild didn't know what had gone down.

"He only told us about your mission and how you braved your way through a burning building."

"Oh.. well," images of Bacchus flooded my mind: his facial expressions, his behavior, his words. I could feel my arms shake and my breathing pick up.

"It's all your fault, not mine. You pushed us apart, it was you and your problems. It was all your fault Cana killed herself, not mine it can't be mine. It's your fault."

"Lisanna, hey, come back to us," Mira gripped my knee carefully. His laughter rang in my ears.

"Whoa, I didn't know it was that bad," Lucy covered his mouth. "I'm sorry, you don't have to tell me if you aren't comfortable."

I couldn't bring myself to look at either of them, if they knew I was responsible for Cana, they would never see me the same.

"Thank you for bringing a new pair of clothes, Lucy, but could you leave us," Mira whispered, as if I couldn't hear. Lucy placed the clothes on the bed and Mira escorted her out, closing the door. "Lets get you changed out of those sweaty pajamas."

I nodded, slowly easing out of the bed. I pulled my shirt over my head and remembering the last time I did. My back burned at the thought.

Mira half laughed, "You just got your stitches removed from your stomach, only to go and get your back burnt."

"Is it bad?" I asked, poking at the bandages that wrapped up from my waist to my shoulder blades.

"Fabric had melted into your back, the burn was bad to begin with but with you ripping out the fabric, it made it worse. But it's not disgustingly bad."

"It's bad, you don't have to try to make me feel better."

"Yeah, it's really bad."

I sighed, looking over the rest of the damage. My arms were speckled with blisters, as well as my legs.

"I am atrocious," I said as Mira slipped a cotton shirt over my head. And my life is plummeting, and I can't stop think about Bacchus and Hibiki, and I may be going insane, I don't trust my own mind.

But I didn't dare say any of that out loud in fear of being put in a mental hospital.

"You look fine, and the only person your appearance should matter to is you."

"Yeah, and I look like a train wreck."

"Well, you have been through things way worse than an actual train wreck, so that's a start." I giggled a little at that, glad to have Mira with me during this mess. I pulled on a pair of thigh high gym shorts, showing off my darkened legs, both from ash and the unfurnished wood floors I crawled across. My lungs stung from the inhalation of so much smoke, I had this constant feeling of needing to cough or clear my throat.

There was a light tap on the door and Bickslow entered with the cloths and bed sheets.

"Mira?" Erza called from down the stairs.

"Shoot, I forgot, Erza asked me to help her prepare for her date with Jellal. I'll come back as soon as I'm free," Mira smiled and left the room. I looked over at Bickslow who was busy changing my bedding. He caught my stare and smirked at me.

"What, do I have something on my face?" He stood fully up.

"You always have something on your face," I pointed to the human like figure over his nose.

"Hey, don't make fun of it," he covered his face playfully. I laughed as he carefully scooped me into his laugh and sat on the bed. I played with one of the buttons on his shirt, slipping it out and back into place.

Confront him about Natsu, if you want this, well whatever this is to work out, communication is key.

"Bickslow? What were-"

"Dang Lisanna, you don't stay away from danger," the man I was just about to ask about waltzed in. My face flushed, seeing how close I was to being busted.

"Well, danger doesn't know how to stay away from me," I improvised, adverting my eyes to the floor.

"I guess. Just came to check up on you," he gave a toothy grin, saluted, and exited. I sighed and leaned back into Bickslows chest, but was surprised when he picked me up and placed me on the bed.

"I've seen enough," he got up.

"What? What do you mean?"

"Don't play dumb, Lisanna. I'm not going to play along."

"Wait, I'm lost. Did I do something?" He stopped in the doorway.

"No, you didn't do anything," he walked away, leaving me alone in the infirmary.

Hope you enjoyed !!