13. Milena

It's been three days since I was thrown into this dungeon cell. Three days since I've eaten. Three days since I've spoken.

     Charles was executed shortly after I met him, I'll never forget his facial expression when the guards came and took him. Now, it's just me and Edward in this cell. There are many prisoners in the dungeon, but I've learned to ignore the nasty words they send my way. I've kept my head down and my knees hugged to my chest this whole time, not even bothering to glance at the other cells in front of me.

     Today is supposed to be Edward's last day, but he doesn't seem scared. He eats what the servants give him with satisfaction, and he doesn't give the guards the pleasure of thinking he's going to beg them to spare his life.

     "Time for food," the servant who brings us rice every day says. I get a good look at his young face, there's no way he's any older than fourteen, maybe fifteen years of age. His dirty blonde hair is neatly swept to the side, and he's dressed in regular servant robes. He slides the tray under the cell door, and Edward picks it up. He hands me one of the bowls of rice, but I shake my head. The servant sighs.

     "You really should eat something," he says. "You'll waste away if you continue fasting."

     I don't respond, I merely gesture for Edward to eat my food. I'm not going to eat it, but I don't want it to go to waste.

     "Thanks," Edward tells me, then he begins eating like it's his last meal. Oh, wait. It is.

     "Milena," the servant says. I'm not even going to ask how he knows my name. "It would do you good to eat."

     "What's your name?" Edward asks the servant.

     He looks at Edward curiously. "Leonardo. Why are you asking?"

     "Do you know what it's like to be so close to death, Leonardo?" He asks, and Leonardo shakes his head. "Milena's probably too worried to eat anything, and I don't blame her."

     "But she's going to fall ill if she doesn't eat," Leonardo points out. I stay silent, unable to find my voice. Even if I wanted to speak, it would be a struggle at this point. "Besides, how would you know? You haven't a care in the world."

     "I'm just trying to make the most of the time I have left in this world," Edward shrugs. "How old are you? Fifteen? Sixteen?"

     Leonardo shakes his head and chuckles, "I'm twenty-three."

     Both Edward's and my eyes widen. He's twenty-three? I could've sworn he was only fifteen.

     "Wow," Edward comments. "You've got the face of a young child."

     "So I've been told," Leonardo says, collecting the empty tray. Then, a guard runs up to Leonardo and whispers in his ear. "Really?"

     "That's what I've been ordered to do," the guard responds.

     Leonardo shrugs, "Alright then, if that's what His Majesty wants," he turns to Edward. "Looks like you'll live to see another day."

     Edward furrows his brows, "What? I'm not going to be put to death?"

     "No," Leonardo shakes his head. "His Majesty the King says we're running low on servants. You are to serve the Royal family alongside me and the other servants."

     The guard unlocks the barred door and Edward stands up, grinning. As the guard takes him away, he turns to me.

     "Good luck in here," he says. "I'll miss you."