96. Harry

I've grown accustomed to the feeling of tears streaming down my face over the years. Some would say I'm too sensitive, too emotional. They may be right, but the reason for my tears is completely justifiable.

My nerves had gone haywire as soon as I saw the medic come up to us. Instinctively, I grabbed Milena's hand as he told us that he has the results.

I was ready to hear him say it's too soon to tell, or that he can't detect anything. Even though I tried my best not to get my hopes up, I was still waiting to hear him say that we're going to have a baby.

He went on and on about the method, and explained how they would discover proof of pregnancy, but I couldn't care less about the damn details. I could tell that Milena was also becoming impatient by the way she squeezed my hand.

Then, he finally told us the news. And the tears started flowing.

I am going to be a father.

"There are other methods that we'd like to go through with, just to confirm our results," he says, but I can barely hear him. "But, we're certain about what we found. Congratulations."

My whole world had stopped at his words. My heart nearly stopped, as well. The realization hadn't hit me immediately, I just couldn't process what he said. The tears that fell weren't as recognizable. These were tears of joy.

I couldn't move. I just sat there in awe of the truth, mouth ajar. I couldn't believe the words repeating through my mind. I am going to be a father.

Suddenly, I'm overwhelmed with joy and begin laughing through my tears. I hear Milena call my name, shaking my shoulder. Without warning, I turn to her, grab her face, and press my lips against hers. I let go of her face, just to wrap my arms around her tightly. I don't care about the medic standing right in front of us, this is a joyous moment and I should be allowed to kiss my wife.

My wife. The words sound foreign to me, but it feels good to say them. I know we aren't married yet, but she's already my wife in my heart. This woman, this radiant angel, is the miracle that my pointless life needed. Before her, I was miserable. I wanted to run away, to just escape this perfect persona of a life.

Then I met her, and she brought light into my life. She brought warmth and love to me, something I thought I could never have. And now, life is granting me another miracle.

I stop kissing her, only to embrace her tightly.

"I love you so damn much," I whisper, not caring that my tears are falling onto her hair.

She doesn't hesitate to hug me back, and I can hear her sniffling. "I love you, too."

"I'll, um," the medic awkwardly clears his throat. "I'll give you some privacy."

I barely noticed when he walked away, my mind was too preoccupied with the incredible news.

I pull back slightly, grabbing her face once again and pressing a quick kiss on her forehead. I lean back down to kiss her lips once more, not believing that this is real. I half expect to wake up from this dream any moment now.

But, it's not a dream. This is reality. And the reality is; we are going to have a baby.

"We are going to have a baby," I repeat my thoughts in a tearful whisper, resting my forehead against her. She lets out a shaky laugh.

"Yes, we are," she cries, sniffling once more. She brings her hands up to my face, mirroring my position, and rubs my cheek with her thumb. "We're going to be parents."