34. Louis

I've never been happier to be reunited with my cousin. Aiden and I were the best of friends as children, but I haven't seen him in years. Now that he's back, the fun can really start. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help me gain control over Alba. I'll even make him my second-in-command. He tries to hide it, but I know how pissed off he is at my father for taking the throne that was supposed to be passed down to him. It seems as though everyone wants the title of King nowadays, except for the one man who will actually have the title passed to him; Liam.

     I won't even get started with that, today is supposed to be a good day. After all, the ball is going to be all about me. Well, me and my betrothed. She is supposed to be arriving shortly before the ball, and I'm not necessarily looking forward to meeting her. I just hope she's pretty, that might make this marriage a bit less sufferable.

     The ball officially starts at seven o'clock in the evening today, only two hours away. The ballroom is ready, and some guests have already shown up. According to Edward, all of the servants will also be attending. I can't wait to see the look on Abigail's face when she sees me with my future bride. Edward also informed me that there are at least fifty guests currently in the ballroom, socializing with each other. Father says that we should expect nearly two hundred guests, so there are still many more people who will show up within the next two hours.

     Here I am, thinking about the royal ball when I should be preparing for it. My room is spotless, thanks to that maid that Harry apparently fancies. I will absolutely love holding that against him in the future. Although, I wasn't lying when I said she was quite lovely. She's got that innocent look in her eyes. But, something is stopping me from making a move on her, for some reason. I just have a feeling that it wouldn't be right.

     I make my way to the royal bathing room while I think about all of this, bringing a few towels. Since this is my day, I can relax in the bath without having to hurry up. Father told us when we were children that a bath shouldn't last any longer than half an hour. Fuck that, I'm going to relax for as long as I can today and he can't say anything about it.

     Quickly, I rid myself of my clothes and step into the tub, sighing in relief as I sink down, being welcomed by the warm water. I take my time in coating my arms in soap, something that the poor people of the kingdoms don't have. The soap is incredibly soothing, especially when the bubbles form in the water and surround me with the sweet scent of vanilla. I'd never tell Father that I use oil infused with vanilla as soap. Vanilla is a woman's scent, according to him. I personally don't think it matters, though. It smells nice, so I'm going to use it.

     Once I've soaped myself, I lean back and close my eyes, exhaling. This is beyond relaxation, I honestly think I could fall asleep. I can feel myself getting drowsier by the minute, but, before I can fall into what would have been an incredible sleep, I'm startled by a knock at the door. I groan.

     "What?" I shout, irritated.

     "Louis? Are you in there?" I hear Harry's voice being muffled by the closed door, and I sigh in relief. It's just Harry.

     "Yes," I respond. "What do you need? You can come in, if you want."

     After a few moments, he answers. "Are you decent?"

     I chuckle to myself before saying, "Yes, I am."

     He opens the door and walks in. After he gets a look at me, he gasps, sighs, and then looks at the ceiling.

     "You said you were decent," he crosses his arms. "Why would you say that, when you're naked in a bathtub? Aren't you shy or ashamed?"

     I shrug. "Why would I be shy? I've gotten quite a lot of compliments about my body."