Chapter 36

Nile Dok stood at the podium.

Some members of the Military Police shoved me towards my pole thingy, awakening me from my moment of shock.

Only one pole was set up, so I was guided to kneel next to a very terrified Eren.

Looking around, I saw the Scout Regiment on one side and the Military Police and the Garrison spread out around the rest of the room. "Wait. The Garrison is fighting for me too?" I whispered to myself.

"Speak up," Nile projected across the court room.

I spun my head around to meet his gaze, glaring with every ounce of disrespect as I could muster. He glared right back.

"Excuse me, your honor, but it was my understanding that Darius Zackley was supposed to be judging this trial," I stated questioningly.

"He was, but... he got... sick. That doesn't matter. What does matter is that I will be in charge of this trial as his second in command," he responded smugly. "Oh, and you may only speak when spoken to, [l/n]."

I remained quiet, continuing to glare at him.

"Now then. Eren Jaeger, you are on trial for obviously being a titan and therefore a traitor to humanity. You will be killed because of this act of treason."

"[f/n] [l/n], you are believed to have planned the deaths of 47 members of the Scout Regiment in the battle at Trost. There is no evidence to deny this, so I think this case is closed. You will be handed over to the Military Police and the Garrison-"

Erwin raised his hand, as if he were in school and the room went silent. The metaphorical teacher called on him.

"Yes, Erwin?" he sighed.

"We haven't had a chance to express our proposal yet. As the judge, it is your responsibility to hear both sides and-"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Go ahead, Smith."

He cleared his throat. "I propose that [f/n] and Eren join the Scout Regiment under the protection of Lance Corporal Levi. We are willing to work out the details of their treatment and such, but based on Zackley's rule a week ago, it is against the law for you to sentence [f/n] to death."

I grinned up at Nile with that same smug expression he showed me earlier.

"Fine. But the case of Eren Jaeger is still in process. And it is still my job to rule what happens to [f/n], even if she has to live."

My grin faded as I attempted to mask my fear. What would happen to me?