Chapter 17

hey everyone, here is chapter 17. i hope y'all like it

*Dawn’s POV*

Yesterday was a great day. I enjoyed the market so much. Nevertheless, I cannot believe I actually gave into Alister last night and enjoyed it. It wasn’t like me. I didn’t want to have any feelings like that for him. I liked Darren. NOT Alister. So why did I give into him? Maybe it was because he was actually kind to me for once, and allowed me a taste of the world outside his mansion. I had been outside once before, but I had been punished for that little trip. Alister’s brother Chaos had found me in a tree watching the horizon. He thought I was trying to escape and dragged me back into the mansion and dropped me at my Master’s feet.

I was not fond of those memories, so I worked hard not to dwell on them. I had woken in Alister’s bed this morning, but he was not in the room. I took that as a good thing and decided to start my chores early. I soon found out that moving was painful. It proved to make getting my chores done quickly a bit difficult.

I had just finished tidying Master’s room. I didn’t have much to do today because the other slaves had already gotten most of them done as I slept. I helped clean the kitchen earlier, but now I was on my way to the library. I was in the mood to relax and read for a while.

I was walking down the hall towards the stairs to the library when a small girl came running around the corner. She was crying and had blood on her outfit. She ran right into me and nearly fell but I caught her. She looked no older than five years old. What could have happened to her that left her bloody and crying?

“Hey, are you ok? What happened?” I set her down and kneeled to her level. She was whimpering and crying as if she were scared.

“Little girl?”

She continued to whimper and cry. I watched as she wiped her tears away with the backs of her hands.

“He….he…he was hurting mommy,” she whimpered. “A mean man was hurting…my mommy….i ran away…he wanted to hurt me too.”

She was a small framed child, with green eyes and pale blonde hair. She looked so innocent.

“Who was the man, little one? What did her look like?” I kept my voice calm as I questioned her. She seemed so fragile.

I waited as she took a moment to respond. “It…It was my Master….it was Master Chaos. He has white hair…and mean blue eyes….he’s scary.”

She whimpered between her words and I let her take her time, but when I heard her say Chaos’ name, I couldn’t help but tense. He is a brutal man. I could not believe this small child belonged to a wretch of a man like him.

“Why was he hurting her? Do you know?” Her only response was to shake her head. I sighed and looked down the hall where she was running.

I couldn’t go help her mother. That would only get me hurt in the process and I'm not fond of pain. Especially with the event of Alister whipping me a few weeks ago still fresh in my mind.

I decided to take her to one of the other slaves that was a nursemaid to the children and told her to tend to the child. She needed cleaning up and a new outfit since her’s was soaked in blood. She happily went with the girl. Maybe they knew each other. I walked back down the hall. Before I had given her to the nursemaid, she had told me her name was Ella and that she had lived here as long as she could remember. To me, that meant she was likely born here.

As I walked further down the hall, I began to her small screams. It must have been Ella’s mother and Chaos. I could not help my curiosity, and ended up walking to the room they were in. it was one of the common areas. It looked like a small lounge. I saw a young woman on her hands and knees crying. Her body was striped in blood. On the other side of the room was Master Chaos and in his hand was a menacing 9ft whip. I tensed at the sight of his whip.