Bring Them Home

"Allura! Isn't there anything you can do? I can't reach them. They could be in trouble!" Shiro exclaimed frantically.

"I know, I'm trying!" Allura replied with equal anxiety. "Nothing is working. I tried comming them too but they aren't answering."

"A-are they just ignoring us?" Hunk asked.

"I don't see why they would. If Lance doesn't answer, I would expect Pidge to answer at least. Unless they're in a situation that requires them to be perfectly silent, there's no reason for--- that's it..."

"Shiro...?" Hunk started.

"They haven't been captured yet. They're hiding somewhere in the Galra ship. They must be." Shiro hoped that his words were more than just self assurance. After all, they just finally got all five Paladins together again. Shiro knew that he could never live with himself if he allowed any of his team members to get hurt.

"How can you be sure?"

"Hunk, trust me on this. We have to get in there. The force field's defenses can't last forever. It takes up far too much power. When it lets up, we fly through."

"But Shiro, we don't know how long that will take. It could be hours, even days, before that happens. What if they're captured before then? What if they're killed?!"

"Hunk, stay with me." Shiro consoled. "We won't let that happen. We will wait for months if we have to. I can assure you that we will get them back, safe and sound... no matter what it takes." The words tumbled out of Shiro's mouth without thought. He planned to reassure Hunk, not fill his head with empty promises.

Shiro hunched over in his seat. What if they were too late? What if he was wrong and they were already captured? His eyes drifted to the gleaming surface of his metallic arm. Would they be able to defend themselves from the cruelty of the Galra? He shook the thought away. They won't have to. He vowed that he would find the lost Paladins and bring them home.

Shiro inhaled sharply and clenched his metallic arm into a fist. His eyes drifted up to glare at the Galra ship before him.

"You took my arm, but I'll die before you take my family."