Chapter 12 | The Good Titan

——————————————————————

Just after Mikasa was saved by a titan

I finally saw her as I flew past her rigid form, as she was standing bewildered in the street below, hands half covering her head.

"She's here!" I called out, and Armin responded immediately by flying down to her and scooping her up into his arms, pulling her up and crashing on a nearby roof. We had received training on how to carry another person while using our ODM gear, and naturally those who were the most skilled and at ease when using the gear were the best at managing to carry another person and still control their flight path. So... Armin wasn't fantastic at it. Connie and I landed near them.

"Mikasa!" I called out, running over to her and throwing my arms around her. She was flustered, but still somehow shocked, although I didn't yet understand why.

"Are you okay?" Armin asked anxiously, hands on his knees. I glanced at him and in relief saw that he wasn't hurt from his rough landing. 

"Are you guys both alright?" Connie asked, looking surprised that the both of them had come out of that unscathed, and they nodded. "Then we have got to get out of here".

The roof underneath us started to shudder, as giant footsteps could be heard coming closer and closer. It was then that I saw two 15m titans coming in our direction, walking along the street parallel from the roof we were sitting on. The two titans were staring at each other, not even sparing us humans a second glance. I quickly tore my blades from their sheathes, still sharp as they were my last pair, and prepared to take off. 

"Crap! This isn't good." Connie said, voice shaking.

"Guys, get Mikasa out of here. I'll handle this" I muttered.

"No! That ones different!" Mikasa burst out. I looked back to see that she was staring at the second titan, the one with darker hair and a very muscled torso.

"What? Is it 16 meters instead of 15? I don't care, I'm still gonna take it down." I retorted, keeping my eyes glued on the titan she was referring to. 

A horrible screeching sound took me off balance as I saw the smaller titan start roaring. It astounded me, as I'd rarely heard them roar before, only when the slightly more sentient ones got killed. I was even more bewildered when the larger titan roared back, this time the roar filled with rage. Then, to my absolute surprise and horror, the titan lifted its arms in to a fighting position, fists clenched. It reminded me of how Annie would fight in hand to hand contact, in the moments before she beat my ass and left me lying in the dirt.

"What the fuck." I deadpanned, my arms dropping to my sides, blades clanging as they bumped against each other.

The smaller titan took that as an invitation, charging towards the larger one, only to receive a powerful slap to the side of it's face that send it's head flying off it's body, crashing in to a tower, the body collapsing where it stood. The taller titan then walked towards the body, and with chilling precision, stood harshly on it's nape.

What the actual fuck...

"It finished it off! It knew exactly where the weak spot was!" Armin stuttered, horrified, backing away slightly from the edge of the roof.