Chapter 28 | Eren!

———————————————————————————

I headed inside, sleepily getting changed into a baggy shirt and climbing into bed after extinguishing some of the largest candles, trying to make it as dark as I could while still leaving enough lights for the girls to see as they came to bed. I had been lying there, trying my best to fall asleep when after about 20 minutes, I heard the sound of the door opening quietly.

That's strange, Sasha is normally so noisy.

I rolled over to start talking to her, however I was surprised to see that instead of Sasha, it was Armin, and I sat up, concerned that something was wrong.

What...

"Ar?" I asked softly, not wanting to startle him, and he stopped where he stood looking embarrassed.

"I'm sorry." He began apologetically, still standing where he was. "I didn't mean to wake you."

"It's okay, I was still awake." I reassured, beckoning him over to me, and he hesitantly walked over to my bed. "Is everything okay?" I asked, reaching for his hand to pull him down so he could sit next to me. He sat down softly, his face a mixture of apprehension and embarrassment.

"Everything's fine." He answered, and I relaxed slightly. "I just... wanted to talk."

"Okay." I said with a smile, turning a little more to face him. Now that he was here, it felt like everything was perfect, like nothing bad would happen to me as long as he was by my side. "What did you want to talk about?"

"I just wanted to make sure that... when we go on missions, in the Scouts... you need to make sure that you keep yourself safe over anyone else." His voice was quiet and imploring, looking up at me with those beautiful cerulean eyes that took my breath away. I remembered how frustrated he was when I'd almost died protecting him during the battle for Trost, so I guessed that he had been thinking about this since them.

"Ar..." I started softly, but he continued on.

"You care about everyone so much, and I know you'd do anything to keep them safe, but I need you to make sure that you don't rush into danger and risk hurting yourself... I can't..."

"Armin," I murmured, taking his hands in mine to get him to stop before he worked himself off. "I promise you that I'll take care of myself, but you can't blame me for wanting to make sure that the others... that you also stay safe."

Armin looked away, yet he tightened his grip on my hands from where they were lying limply in my grasp. "I couldn't bear to lose you... especially if it was because you were trying to protect me..."

I shuffled closer to him, sitting directly in front of him while moving my arms from his hands to slide further up his bare forearms. He was wearing a white shirt with his sleeves rolled up, and soft beige sleep pants; he looked perfect.

"I would give my life for you." I murmured, looking deep into his eyes. "But most of all I wish to live the rest of my life by your side. I'll take care of myself, but I will never stop caring for you. I will always try to keep you safe."

Armin let out a gentle sigh, half frustrated yet half relieved; he knew that I wouldn't stop trying to protect him, but he would have to be content with me promising to be careful. "Thank you."

I smiled at him, reaching up to brush some of the hair out of his face, accidentally grazing my fingers across his cheek. His cheeks flushed slightly before he leant forward slightly, pressing his head into my shoulder and resting against my neck, his arms shyly sliding around my waist. I was surprised at him showing affection so openly, but I couldn't bring myself to mention it, simply putting my arms around him, one hand resting in his hair.