Feelings - James

I hear the doorbell ring and I eagerly run to get the door like I'm a child running to the ice cream truck. Except I'm an adult and I'm running to something better than an ice cream truck. I open the door and grin at the tall man with curly dark hair and the cutest red cheeks in the world smiling back at me.

"I'm so glad you're finally here." I squeal as I pull James into my apartment by the wrist.

"Me too. That traffic was terrible." He groans.

James and I have been friends since we were kids. We grew up together. After high school, we stopped talking for a while. But when I moved to Colorado, he texted me and asked if we could meet up for lunch sometime. He had changed a lot from the last time I saw him, which was almost 10 years ago. But he was still the James I missed and loved. Since that day, we've been best friends. Not only are we super close, but we also work together at Cow Chop since he got me a job there.  Now we basically spend every day together, and over the years I've started to have some feelings for him. It sucks because I don't think he feels the same way, but I wish he did.

"So, what are we playing today?" He asks as the two of us sit down on my couch with the TV already turned on.

"Battleblock?" I suggest.

"Fuck yeah, as long as we can be green." He replies.

"Nope. We're gonna be brown."

"No, brown's the shit color."

"Exactly, because we're both shit at this game."

James laughs and shakes his head, "You're right."

I decide to make our team green instead because James whines again when I change our characters to Brown. He can be such a baby sometimes. We select a level to play and immediately I push James into the water next to the spawn.

"You fucking asshole." He mutters as he throws a grenade at me.

I jump away as the grenade explodes and takes his character with him. He curses some more as I collect a gem and go further into the level. James follows behind me and helps me fight a few enemies. I kill him a few more times and he dies, even more times on his own. I collect most of the gems and the yarn ball on my own. We finish the level and he insists upon going to the store. I follow his character in and watch as he buys capsules with the other prisoners in them.

"Ew, look at that one!" He laughs as a very unattractive prisoner pops out and runs towards the exit like they all do. I smile when he laughs this hard, especially when he wheezes too. His laugh is fucking gold.

I get up while he's still laughing to get us each a drink. Once I get back to the couch with two cans of Mountain Dew in hand, he's done laughing and waiting for me so we can start another level.

"Thanks, pal." He says as I hand him his drink.

"No problem." I reply as I open my can and take a sip.

We put our drinks down then start the next level. This one's a speed run, also known as the levels that make James get pissy and yell a lot. I'm excited just to see that.

It's only a few seconds in and James is already yelling, "No, you have to put that there. No! The other block, yes. Okay, wait for me."

He's so hard to follow sometimes, but most of the time I understand him. Sometimes, however, he makes so sense at all. But that's James. He can sometimes be a confusing piece of shit and sometimes he's an adorable piece of shit. And I love all of him, even if he is a piece of shit. He's James Richard Wilson jr. and that's all that matters to me.