December 21st

Of all times for Ethan to plan a last minute trip to Miami to meet Natasha, he had to choose today. Of course I'm jealous, it's a natural thing for me to feel. It's his relationship with Eleanor all over again. I tried to not let it bother me, still, it constantly toyed with my mind. The TV even appeared to be against me, repeating all of Ethan's shows ahead of Christmas Eve. Then the next channel was repeating episodes of Patrick Miller's show. So, I popped over to Max and Eleanor's. I hadn't discussed my schedule recently with Max, and was hoping a few more movie roles had come along to attract my interest.
     "My first article will be in next weeks magazine," Max said as he passed me my cup of tea.
     "Great work Max, congratulations!"
     "Can I speak to August alone for a moment, Max?" Eleanor asked, raising her eyebrows.
     It concerned me because I was certain I'd done something wrong although I wasn't sure what, and I'd only been here two minutes.
     "Oh, ok. I'll go.... and buy you some flowers from across the road." He replied, swiftly leaving the apartment.
     Eleanor sat beside me on the sofa, almost knee to knee. "August, I know."
     "Know what?" I replied, my voice shaking.
     She squinted, "About Ethan and the crash."
     I dropped my sight to the floor. "I thought he would've told you when you saw his scars." It surprised me that he didn't tell Eleanor about the crash, his scars are hardly discreet.
     "He told me it was a sporting injury, I don't know I didn't want to upset him, so I avoided mentioning it."
     Max obviously broke the news to Eleanor, I still was unsure how much she knew. Did she know his heart stopped?
     "What else do you know about the crash?" I asked.
     Her eyes suddenly darted at me with a look of sorrow.
     "Oh." Her response wasn't required.
     "I know it's a hard subject, but I wanted to speak to you and see how you were doing? Does it still bother you?"
     I took a sip from my tea. It was too hot, so I placed it straight back down.
     "It plays on my mind now and again." I replied.
     She hugged me and rubbed my back. "Do you want to talk about it?"
     I shook my head on her shoulder.
     "Are you sure?"
     I nodded my head on her shoulder.
     "Why do I feel so guilty?" I asked in a weirdly exhausted voice.
     "I don't know August, its one of those things you can't change and you have to accept that."
     Our hug parted, "I know," I replied, "I know." I stared at my tea and sighed.
     "You love him, don't you?" She asked.
     Without thinking I nodded. After a few seconds I realised what I had admitted and I glanced up sharply. Eleanor smiled, not a happy or sad one. Just an understanding one.
     "He loves you, too." She said.
     "How do you know?" I breathed, trying to not let it show that my heart was dancing.
     "It's the way he looks at you. Every girl dreams of being looked at like the way he looks at you. Even me when I was with him. You just never catch him when he does."