nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

Makoto stares at his bedroom ceiling very late that night, allowing all the thoughts in his mind to dance around and jumble up his thinking at once.

His eyes close and he tries to sort through his thoughts, figuring that if he can just think, maybe a solution will come to mind. A solution is all he needs right now; the answer that can help him understand why exactly he's feeling this way.

Makoto feels like he is naturally drawn to Haruka. There is some unspoken connection between the two that feels like more than a spontaneous friendship. He desperately searches in all corners of his mind, trying to think of what else to the story could there be. Mulling over the details of his life, he only remembers bits and pieces.

Now that he thinks about it, why can't he remember much of anything in his life?

Only small snippets of memories come to mind when he really strains to remember. Playing catch with his father outside when he was very young. Soccer practice. Living in a cramped apartment when his mother contracted her heart disease, and the way his twin-sized bed barely fit in his closed-sized room. His tenth birthday party, where his two-year old siblings tore into his birthday cake with their fingers.

Little, insignificant moments.

He reaches over to his nightstand and grabs his laptop, opening a new search engine. What he was about to do felt like a slight invasion of privacy, but he knew he needed to do it anyway.

Erika Nanase

The first link that pops up is a Iwatobi city newspaper headline: Teenage Girl Killed in a Hit-and-Run by Drunk Driver

On the evening of April 23rd, 2009, teenage girl Erika Nanase was killed in a vehicular homicide in downtown Iwatobi. She was hit by a drunk driver while walking around downtown with her little brother, whom she saved by pushing him out of the way in the last moment. According to a witness, the unidentified driver was swerving left and right on the street, clearly intoxicated, and was driving a dark blue Buick.

Attached in the article is a photo of a teenage girl and a younger boy. Erika and and her younger brother, Haruka, the caption reads. The girl, who Makoto assumes to be Erika, is smiling happily, flashing a peace sign, clutching onto her bookbag and looking beautiful and polished in her new school uniform. Makoto realizes that she looks quite like Asuka, but more mature.

The polka-dot green bow that third-years wear is tied neatly around her collarbone, and her brown hair is done in a curly side ponytail in a matching green scrunchie. By her side is a young boy, wearing a too-large school uniform and is looking away from the camera, frowning slightly. Well, that's certainly Haruka, Makoto thinks.

Erika Nanase was a third-year high schooler at Iwatobi High School, and a well-respected member of Iwatobi. She was principal violinist in her school's orchestra, as well as the student body president and an active volunteer around the town. She will be missed by many, including her parents, Lucinda and Satoru Nanase, and her younger brother, Haruka, and remembered as a wonderful contribution to the community. Her family is holding a funeral at the Hollanova Funeral Home on April 29th and requests that those willing to contribute make a donation to the M.A.D.D. (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) Foundation.

Once he finishes reading the article, he quickly shuts his laptop, pushing it away from him. He feels sick after reading the article, and is plagued with guilt by researching his friend's sister. His stomach is in knots, and he strains as hard as he can for an answer that just isn't coming.

He hates this feeling. Not being in control, feeling completely helpless and lost. He can feel his breath starting to restrict in his lungs, and he forces himself to breathe evenly, to keep calm. Oh, he hates this so much.