forty four → 01/03

Chapter Forty-Four: January 3rd

Makoto awakes, feeling refreshed. Remnants of a dream fizzle in his mind; memory-like images of blue eyes and blue waters. Looking outside, he can see it's still dark. His window is left open, curtains dancing in the night breeze.

A chill runs down his spine, but it is not because of the open window. He knows Zoe is long gone, but he is not alone.

"Death," He calls to the shadow. He can just make out the moment of a figure, sitting in his chair. Waiting for him.

"Makoto," Makoto can hear the sadness in his voice, but feels the smile on his lips. He rises to his feet and approaches the door. "It's time."

Instead of feeling scared or defensive like he's predicted all this time, all the emotions he's been holding back for so long dissipate into smoke behind his eyelids. He nods, sliding out of bed silently.

Crossing the room, he takes one last look at his desk. The flash drive is gone.

Death smiles reassuringly at him as he draws nearer. Makoto meets his eye; they glow a liquid gold, gleaming iridescence amidst the darkness.

He extends his hand, and Makoto takes it. They approach the door.

"Ready?" Death asks.

Makoto's answer is firm. "Ready."

- - - -

Makoto Tachibana, 18, was found dead in his bedroom on the morning of January third, 2014. Tachibana was born on November 17th, 1996, to Tomiko and Ryou Tachibana. He was a third-year honors student at Iwatobi High School, as well as a member of the swim club, and will be lovingly remembered by his community.

His family pays tribute to him: "Makoto was our star. He was one of the kindest and most selfless people you could ever meet. He loved putting a smile on the faces of everyone around him. He will be dearly missed by many."

His boyfriend, Haruka Nanase, chose not to comment.

Although the cause of death is currently unknown, Tachibana is believed to have died peacefully in his sleep the night before, clutching onto a necklace with a star-shaped pendant.