Chapter 14

Alrighty! Here we will hopefully get a resolution between Maurice and Mandarin. Please enjoy!

-------------------------------------

Mandarin grew confused as the place Maurice led him didn't really have any other people. However he quickly got what Maurice was trying to do as the small orange monkey sat down against the wall. He sat down gently as well and stared into the distance.

"So I-" Mandarin began before Maurice interrupted him.

"I haven't exactly been treating you the best the past month. I'm sorry." Maurice said softly.

Mandarin quickly looked down at him.

"No Maurice-"

"Don't try to excuse it, I've been avoiding you and treating you so terribly! Why aren't you mad at me?!" Maurice asked, standing up.

"Because I understood why you got so upset. I couldn't get mad at you because of how you felt." He said.

Maurice hesitated before he kept talking.

"B-but I said I didn't even consider you as my mother, who even says those horrible things?" He asked, hurt.

"Someone who was very upset over what happened and didn't understand why it happened before. I know you didn't mean it." Mandarin said.

Maurice flinched and looked off to the side. Mandarin gently pulled him into his side and stroked his head with his thumb. Maurice felt tears come to his eyes but quickly wiped them.

"I mean I know now the reason you felt why you had to stay in the labs and couldn't ask the team for help before. I know why you had to leave us with them, so why do I still feel this way? Why am I still so upset and hurt?" Maurice choked, clinging to Mandarin.

Mandarin kept stroking his back.

"I love you and your siblings more than anything. I never stopped worrying or thinking about each of you after I left you at the robot. I missed all of you so much it would ache." He said softly.

Maurice let a few tears stream down his face as he kept clinging to Mandarin.

"Believe me Maurice, if I had the guts to leave I would have, but..." Mandarin's voice trailed off.

Maurice shook his head.

"No don't apologize, I get it now." He sniffled.

They then spent the next hour sitting there, talking about whatever.

Two down, one to go.

———–

Of course the next day, his depression kept Mandarin in bed. Which frustrated him to no end because he really wanted to get up and tend to his children but his overwhelming feelings of being lethargic, unfocused and empty kept him from doing so.

"Take it easy for today, treat yourself as if you're sick and rest." Antauri strictly told him.

Mandarin gripped his pillow a bit more.

"But I can't be sick forever...I can't do that." He grumbled to himself before closing his eyes.

It was at least fifteen minutes before he heard the door open. He felt a small figure hop onto the bed and crawl up with him.

"What is for breakfast Otto?" Mandarin asked, not opening his eyes.

"I'm not Otto you goofy butt!"

Mandarin shot his eyes open to see Penny smiling with a plate of waffles next to her.

"Penny what-?"