BONUS STORY: Stone Soup

The basket was empty. The only thing in it was the scrolls, and the girls certainly couldn't eat THAT for dinner.

It was getting dark. The Three Assistants were hungry, tired, thirsty, and their sun-scorched skin burned (except for Snow White's. Snow White NEVER burns and NEVER tans).

"Let us rest, my dears. We have walked far and is almost in the West Wind Witch's district. We have made great progress today."

"Three cheers." Rapunzel moaned, wiping dirt from her face.

"Look on the bright side, Rapunzel. We've killed ALL the Assistants of the East. Aurora's right. We've got to stop, so we'll have enough energy to keep going tomorrow."

They were entering a village. The houses were made of logs, old-fashioned looking, with small vegetable shops and little stores dotted evenly through. No one was on the streets, except for a lone, bony cat scavenging for scraps.

"Alright. Let's ask someone if they can lend us their bed." Rapunzel sighed. She dragged herself up the steps of the house closest to them. She knocked.

The door opened, and a housewife wearing a scarf over her hair glanced out. A pool of warm, golden light spread onto the steps. "Yes?" she frowned. 

"Gimme food." Rapunzel folded her arms tightly.

The girls' faces were caked with dirt, their clothes tatty and covered with grass. They must have looked like beggars, or even bandits.

"I'm afraid I have none to spare." the woman said bluntly, and then slammed the door in their faces.

"How rude!" exclaimed Aurora. She marched up to the next house and banged on the door.

A weary-looking man with a furry blonde moustache opened the door wide. "What is it?"

"Can you give us some food? Would you, perhaps, also happen to own three beds?" Aurora looked hopeful.

The door was closed before she even finished her sentence.

"My turn." Snow White announced. She rapped the windows of the third house.

A chubby butcher with frayed jeans and a bloody apron unbolted the door. "Uh, hey?"

"Oh, please! We are hungry, and so exhausted, and we've been walking all day...would you be so kind to give us food?" Snow White blinked innocently, pitiful tears on the verge of spilling out.

The butcher sighed. "Sorry, kiddos, but I'm too busy right now. Good night."

The door whooshed shut.

"I tried." Snow White shrugged.

"NOW what do we do?" scowled Rapunzel. 

"Rob a store?" Snow White suggested. "Eat that cat? Look in that rubbish bin?"

"Eugh, no way."

"Don't be picky, Rapunzel." Aurora snapped. "We have no other choice. It's not like we can eat GRASS or STICKS or STONES." 

Hmm.

Rapunzel suddenly straightened. "Or maybe we can."

"EW RAPUNZEL!!"

"No, you idiot. I don't mean literally." Rapunzel snapped her fingers. "Aurora. Find a large smooth stone and wash it in that pool of rainwater. Snow White. Come with me."

Snow White followed Rapunzel, curiosity stronger than her feeling of disgust. They weaved through a narrow alley, with litter and graffiti on the walls. "Okay, Snow." Rapunzel pointed to the nearby rubbish bin. "GO. Look for bits of papers, magazines, anything to start a fire."