Nineteen

Soon afterwards, everyone swarmed into the guest bedroom at Jo's house.

"Guess who brought wine!" Candice yelled as she entered. 

"I got ice-cream," Daniel said.

"And we stopped to get chips," Phoebe piped in. 

"Awh guys, you didn't need to get all this. I'm fine, honestly," I insisted.

Kat raised an eyebrow, "Are you sure about that girl because those puffy eyes and that tissue box tell me otherwise."

I sighed, "Okay, you're right. I'm a mess. But I'm glad you're all here."

Suddenly, Paul's phone buzzed. "It's Ian. He wants to know if Nat's ok."

"Tell him the truth," I all but growled, "let him know that he's hurt me and he needs to stop worrying because he made it clear he doesn't care."

I heard a snort from Phoebe as Paul reluctantly typed the message and sent it. 

"Hey, um, Natalie," he started, "Can I just talk to you in private for a few minutes?"

"Uh, sure, I guess," I answered, before getting up and walking out into the hallway with Paul.

"Right, well, I just thought you might want to know that I honestly don't think Ian meant what he said."

I gave him a confused look but signaled for him to continue.

"Ian's always been bad with drinking. He always lashes out randomly, but he never means it. And he feels terrible afterwards. Usually someone's there to stop him getting too drunk, just in case, but yesterday we all forgot. I'm so sorry, Nat. And I know he is too. Please, just talk to him. Properly. Like adults."

I was shocked, and I felt like a complete idiot. 

"So, you're telling me, that Ian is an angry drunk and basically it's everyone else's fault that this happened?"

"Well, no, but he is definitely an angry drunk. He can't control himself. He's basically not even Ian when he's drunk. Please don't ruin your relationship over something he can't control."

I felt the anger welling up inside of me, "No, I don't believe you!" I yelled, "if he knows he's like that then why would he even get drunk?! I think you're just sticking up for him because he's your friend. But whatever. It just makes you equally as bad!!"

"Natalie, please," Paul stuttered, "I'm telling the truth."

"No," I stated, "just leave."

When he didn't move, I shouted, "NOW!"

Paul reluctantly walked away and everyone all burst out of the guest room. 

"You know, Nat," Phoebe said, "he has a point. Ian is an angry drunk, and although that's no excuse, you should talk to him."

I nodded slowly, "I'll think about it, but can you all just leave? I want to be alone."

They left and I spent the afternoon laying in bed, eating and pondering over Paul's words. In the end, I decided to text Ian.

***

Me

Hey, I wanna talk this out. Can I come over tomorrow?

Ian

Oh, yeah, of course. What time? xx

Me

Around 10?

Ian

Great! See you then xx

6+ votes for more :)