Chapter 9

"Any luck?"

"None. I don't know where she could have gone."

"Avi, what even happened?"

I slowly looked up from the ground to find five pairs of eyes on me. "Rhett happened." I turned and began to walk back to my car, only to get stopped by Esther.

We were outside a Starbucks, taking a small break. We had been searching for hours without a single sign of Sarah. The sun was starting to set. "Elaborate," she said as she pulled me back.

I rolled my eyes and leaned against the wall. "He couldn't keep his mouth shut and made things worse," I said vaguely, not really wanting to go into detail. "She got up and left."

"I know where she is." We turned to see Rhett standing there with his hands in his pocket. His head was down and he refused to look at any of us. "She's asleep at the cemetery," he said and turned, walking away without another word.

"I didn't think she'd go back so soon," Mitch said, starting to walk without waiting for the rest of us.

"She's grieving. From the way she talked, they had a really good relationship. It only makes sense that she'd go and try to feel some kind of comfort," Kevin spoke up as we walked along the sidewalk. I stopped at my car, climbing in without a word. I didn't bother waiting on the others as I pulled off, acting off pure instinct. Once I got to the cemetery, I got out and closed my door, letting out a small sigh.

I never thought Rhett would help, but sure enough, she was asleep on the ground next to Nathan's grave. I stood silently, not moving even as I felt the others' presence next to me. "How did you get him to help? Kirstie asked in awe.

"I didn't. All I did was tell the truth," I said quietly, slowly walking forward. I could hear the others shuffling behind me, but didn't say anything for a few minutes. "Her dad blames her."

"What are you talking about?" Scott asked, and I could feel his eyes on me.

"Her dad blames for for his death."

"You don't know that. He's grieving too."

"He told her he would have to mourn if it wasn't for her."

"How do you know?"

I looked back at him to see disbelief on his face before looking back to the sleeping girl. Kneeling down, I carefully moved a bit of hair out of her face and sighed softly. "I was there," I said softly before beginning to lightly shake her. "Hey," I whispered softly. "Come on, I'll take you home."

I stopped when she began to stir, wiping dried tears from her eyes. "What time is it?" she asked sleepily, sitting up and beginning to shake dirt and grass out of her hair.

"Almost six. Come on," I said, coaxing her up. "Your parents are probably worried sick."

I watched as Mitch came over and began helping her brush her clothes off, but not physically. I felt a strong wind stirring my clothes around, and effectively cleaning her off. "I don't care if they are," she said. "That's their problem. Hell, that bastard is probably glad he doesn't have to deal with me."

"Don't say that," Mitch said with a frown.

"It's true."

"Sarah..."

"I don't wanna talk about it. I just wanna be alone."

I watched as she started to walk away, only to have Kevin hoist her up over his shoulder. I kept quiet as she struggled to get down, ultimately failing as he carried her to my car. I gave a quiet nod towards Kirstie and walked over, climbing in the driver's seat. Kevin managed to get her in the passenger side as just as the seatbelt wrapped around her and buckled up.