Chapter 10

Sarah's POV

The only sound I could hear was coming from my tv. I had decided not to go to school, instead choosing to lay in bed all day and watch movies. My mistake was watching Nathan's favorite movies. I had managed to stop crying, but I still looked like a mess with my stuffed tiger in my arms and a box of tissues next to me. It wasn't a good look.

I wasn't even halfway through The Lion King and I was already starting to get back into my feelings. "Long day?" I nodded slightly, not even having to look to know who it was. "I came by this morning, but your mom said you didn't feel like going."

I shrugged a bit, and glanced down for a moment. "There's good days and bad days. This one just happens to be a bad day," I said, my gaze shifting over to my bedside table and straight to the picture that sat neatly on it.

I heard a small laugh and a bit of shuffling, but I didn't move. "You still have it."

"I was so irritated about that damn picture, but now it's the only thing left physically connecting me to him," I said softly, finally looking over at Avi, only to find him holding his guitar.

"We only have a week and a half left to get this project done and we don't even have a song picked out yet," he said as he walked over and sat down next to me. "Mr. Edwards said that he wanted to see emotion. With as much as you have, we can use it and get a better grade."

"You want to use my pain to do good on a project?" I said, completely offended.

"Not use, utilize."

"Is there a difference?!" 

"Okay okay, let's back up. I worded that completely wrong. I'm sorry. What  meant was that it's no secret that without emotion, there would be no music. The best songs and the best performances have the most emotion, and you have enough coursing through you for an entire army. I was thinking of finding a song that expresses how you feel," he said calmly, watching me careful for an outburst, but I didn't have it in me.

"What did you have in mind?" I asked quietly, grabbing my remote and turning the tv off, giving Avi my full attention.

"Well, I've been listening around and couldn't find anything. Then I was on my way here and My Immortal came on the radio. We could try it and see. I might be a little rusty because it's been a while since I've played it, but it's up to you."

I didn't want to say I loved the song because it made me think of Nathan, but I did. It was one of my favorite songs. I nodded slowly, my gaze dropping to my lap once more. I didn't have to look up to sense his hesitance, but I didn't say anything while he tuned his guitar.

I grabbed my laptop, quickly pulling up the lyrics and set it in between us. I was still unsure of how I was going to hold my feelings together while singing, or if I would even sound good. Hell, I didn't even know if he could sing. This could just be a complete failure.

I listened carefully as he pointed out which parts he wanted to hear me sing and which parts he wanted me to take. "You gonna be okay to start?" he asked, catching me off guard.

"I have no clue," I admitted truthfully as I looked over at him. "I guess we'll find out."

He offered a small smile and without another word, began to play.

(Sarah; Avi)

"I'm so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
'Cause your presence still lingers here
And it won't leave me alone

These wounds won't seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There's just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me
"