Chapter 22

Sarah's POV

"I'm not letting you walk out that door!"

"Either move or I'll make you!"

"You wouldn't dare..."

"Try me!"

"I'm not letting you walk out there and expose yourself in front of hundreds of strangers, Avi!"

"I just wanna talk to him."

"No you don't! I'm not that stupid!"

"What are you two arguing about this time?" Mitch asked as he walked in, followed by Esther and Scott.

"Don't act like you don't know! You guys aren't the best eavesdroppers," I said with narrowed eyes.

"I don't know-"

"Don't act stupid."

"Okay fine, but we didn't hear who it was. Is that what this is about?" Esther asked with a curious look.

"Promise me you'll leave it alone," I said as I returned my attention to Avi.

"Sarah..."

"Promise me," I repeated.

"Fine, I promise, but I don't like it. These aren't the reasons I should be looking out for that guy," he said, crossing his arms and taking a seat on the couch.

"Pouting isn't gonna change my mind."

"Who is that guy, and why is he stalking us?" Kirstie asked as she came down the stairs with Kevin. 

"No one you need to worry about," I said, only to earn a disbelieving look from them, and for good reason.

"Either you tell them or I will. They'll find out eventually and now is not the time for you to play superhero," Avi said sourly as he briefly glanced at me.

"Salty," I said and rolled my eyes. "When you're done with your temper tantrum, let me know," I added before looking to the others and sitting down. "His name is Justin. He's my ex. I haven't heard from him since my first day back in October. He texted me, but I never responded," I said with a sigh. "I don't know what his problem is, but I do know that if he's willing to try and kill, there's no telling what else he'll do."

"I can handle a crazed ex," Mitch said with a smirk.

"Keep in mind he tried to kill Avi. No one's doing anything. I'm not about to let any of you get hurt because of me," I paused and looked over at Avi. "Not again." I returned my gaze to the others, watching in silence as they processed the information.

"Are you sure it's the same person that tried to kill her?" Mitch asked, taking a seat in the chair across the room, his eyes never leaving Avi.

"I think I'd remember the face of the bastard that tried to murder my girlfriend."

"Look, "I've about had it with you and your sarcasm mister." Silence fell over the room as all eyes trained on Esther while hers were trained on her brother. "We know you're upset, but acting like an ass isn't gonna solve anything."

"I'm not just gonna sit around and do nothing while this psychopath is running free," he said, starting to get up. I immediately put a hand on his arm, forcing him back down.

"That's exactly what you're gonna do because I'm selfish. I almost lost you once," I paused. "We all did. And we're not about to lose you for good because you wanna be stupid. He so willingly shot you once, he'll do it again."

"But Sarah..."

"No and that's final. No one's gonna do anything."

"I can send a tornado after him..."