Chapter 12

"Chin up and relax. Who cares what anyone thinks?" Mitch said with a wide smile, forcing my chin up a bit. I laughed slightly and glanced over at Kirstie and Esther. With a shake of my head, I rolled my eyes and followed Mitch inside, looking around at all the bodies already dancing. "The Queen has arrived!" he yelled with a laugh, already starting to groove to the music.

I raised an eyebrow at him just before Kirstie and Esther burst out into laughter. I glanced past them, a slight smile coming to my face as I nudged Kirstie with my hip. "Looks like you already got someone staring," I told her, nodding my head towards the guy that was watching her intently.

She looked over, a light blush grazing her cheeks as she looked back to me. "What should I do?"

"Go talk to him. If you don't I'll do it for you," I said, nudging her a bit closer to him. She took a deep breath and nodded as she turned and walked away. I smiled a bit, hearing Mitch speak up.

"Speaking of attention. I want someone's and I know exactly who's," he said, leaving me and Esther.

"Ew." The sudden face Esther gave made me turned my head and follow her gaze, only to find Rhett walking up.

"Before you say a word, no, you're not getting any. The best thing for you to do is to leave me alone," I said, tensing up slightly.

His face immediately dropped, turning into a scowl. "Freak," he muttered, but I could hear him. I wish I hadn't, but I did. Without a word to Esther, I turned and walked away, fixing myself something to drink and finding a seat with ease.

I pulled out my phone, scrolling through pictures quietly until I felt a presence beside me. "You sure know how to make an entrance. Personally, I think you look a little too dressed up to be looking depressed. It doesn't match and I don't think Mitch would approve."

I glanced up at Avi, looking down quickly to keep from staring. "And don't you look adorable with your bowtie."

"Esther's idea, but I kind of like it," he said as he took a seat. "You can play it off all you want, but she told me what happened."

Damn. "It's not that big of a deal. I can handle name calling," I said, locking my phone and putting it away.

"You might think that, but trust me, being called a freak isn't something you can just brush off, especially when all you want is to be normal," he told me, leaning back in his chair.

"Look, why are you even here? If you know what happened then why be seen around me? I mean everyone thinks I'm a freak so it's like a sin to be seen with me."

I didn't have to look at him to see him staring at me, and only a couple moments later, he stood up, drawing my attention up to him. He held his hand out and gave a charming smile. "Then how about this? Forget about everything and everyone, and dance with me," he said.

I hesitated until he reached over and took my clutch, slipping it in his pocket. I smiled a bit and took his hand, allowing him to lead me to a gap in between the moving bodies. He turned to face me, an arm gently wrapping around my waist.  I felt a blush creeping up on my cheeks and instinctively looked down as I wrapped my free arm around him, my hand splayed against his back just as Back at One began playing.

I felt his arm tighten around me, pulling me closer and earning a smile from me. "How did your parents react when you told them about spending the night in the hotel?" he asked quietly.

"My mom was fine with it, so was my dad until he found out you were gonna be there," I laughed, looking up at him as we swayed to the music.

"He really doesn't like me does he?"

I shook my head. "I thought it was just a dad thing, but he really doesn't," I said and rested my head on his shoulder. "I don't care though. It's not his life and it's not like we're dating." Only in my dreams.

I looked around, taking in what I could without moving my head. I had a gut feeling someone was watching, but I didn't care until I saw Rhett staring daggers at us. Obsessive much? I closed my eyes, allowing the music and Avi's leading to move me. Forget about everything and everyone. I smiled slightly, never moving my head until the song ended. I stood still, not wanting it to end just yet, but finally opened my eyes with a small sigh. I slowly looked up, to find a pair of jade green eyes staring back at me, the small flecks of amber brightening them up even more.

Is it just me or is he getting closer? Or am I getting closer? I don't really care but I like it. My thoughts were interrupted by someone tugging on the wrist of the hand that was still being held in Avi's. Not again.

I felt someone pull me away and turned to see Mitch with a wide smile. "Come on!" he said as a much faster song came on. They just can't let it happen can they? It's like they're watching and do it on purpose. I looked back to Avi and gave him an apologetic look as Mitch pulled me away to where the other two girls were dancing. I sighed and followed along without a word. Strike two.

A/N: I got so into my feels looking for a good slow song for them to dance too and forgot how much I loved this one haha