04

Love - bittersweet, irresponsible - loosens my limbs and I tremble.
Sappho (6th century B.C.)
To Atthis; 6th century B.C.

Dear Ashley,

Momma's belly has stopped growing, I think that's good because now she won't get more fat. Momma seems worried though, she's been in a crabby mood lately and I don't know how I can make her happy. Normally I'm really good at making momma happy, I don't know if I've done something wrong.

Shawn can't even make momma happy, but I don't think he's really trying, he doesn't seem happy either. I don't really understand adults, they're confusing. Why can't they just be more like kids? I don't think I want to grow up, I think I want to be a kid for a long time, like Peter Pan. Maybe momma will let me move to Neverland if I promise to come home and visit.

I don't know if I could do that, I think I'd miss her and daddy too much. Maybe I can just go at night in my dreams. I always have amazing dreams. One time I had a dream that I had a pet T-Rex that was blue and purple, I named him Steve. I want to always have happy dreams, but sometimes I have scary dreams like losing my bouncy ball.

I hope you don't have bad dreams in momma's belly. I don't remember having bad dreams in her belly, I don't even remember being in her belly. Maybe momma lied, maybe I didn't come from her belly, I think I'd remember something as cool as that. If you forget I'll be sure to remind you. I wouldn't want you to not know.

Momma says you won't be able to talk when you arrive, she says you'll cry a lot and poop a lot. That's okay, I cry and poop too, I think adults do that too. I think farts and burps are funny, I hope you do too. I think it's just the sound they make that makes me giggle. Daddy farts a lot and it always makes me laugh. One time I laughed so hard that I went potty in my pants, that made daddy laugh really hard.

I hope you like me, I already like you. I'm really excited to meet you outside of momma's belly. I think you'll like me, I'm a good person and I'll help you be a good person too.

Sincerely,
Jesalique Jordyn Dianne Hires