Chapter 26: Cold At Night

Bella was sitting on her rooftop smoking a cigarette. It was now one in the morning and she was admiring the stars.

"Bella!" Someone whispered loudly enough for her to hear.

She looked down and saw Ethan walking backwards and looking up at her.

"What do you want?"

"Can we talk?"

"Whatever." She shrugged while taking a drag of her cigarette.

"Is the door open?"

"Yeah."

Ethan walked inside and shut the door. He went upstairs and walked into Bella's room. He careful went out of the window and walked slowly next to her and sat down.

"Hey." He said softly.

"Hi."

"You must be freezing." He said while noticing that she was just wearing a long sleeve shirt. He took off his jacket and wrapped it around her. Bella pushed it off slightly and shook her head.

"Stop." She muttered.

"You're gonna get sick."

"I already am."

"Bella." His eyes softened. Bella looked up at him and shrugged.

"What? I like the cold."

"It's winter."

"And I love winter. It's my favorite season."

"Why do you like winter so much?"

"I love the night during winter because it gets so cold, I start to feel like it. A cold and heartless night."

She took another drag of her cigarette and continued. "Like tonight."

"Bella, I want you to hear me out."

She looked at him and laughed softly. "You're going to tell me how you're sorry, and that you never did anything."

"No-"

"Then you're going to say that you're gonna be here for me, but you know to me it's just going to be blah, blah, blah." She cut him off.

"Why are you so mad?"

"I'm not mad."

"Yes! Yes, you are!" He yelled.

"You're the one who is mad." She pointed out while taking another drag from her cigarette. He pulled the cigarette out of her mouth and put it on the ground before stepping on it.

"Hey!" She spat. She pulled out her box of cigarettes, but Ethan quickly grabbed them and threw them.

"What the hell!"

"Why are you so mad?" He yelled.

"I'm not mad! I'm just done."

"Oh, bullshit! You're done with what? The lies?"

"Yes! You lie, the guys lie! You all fucking lie!"

"Like you haven't lied!" Ethan spat.

"I never lied to you!"

"Neither have I!"

"But you did! You have lied! You lied about caring about me!"

"Oh grow up! I do care for you! It's you who just can't let people care for you!"

"Because you all think I'm crazy!"

His eyes softened and he looked down. He grabbed her hand, but she pulled away. "I don't think you're crazy."