Star's Letter

|Edited: 04/13/17|

"What do you mean--" Marco couldn't finish his sentence when Star's entire room started to disappear. "Star?" Marco asked. The room vanished, leaving no trace of the remaining destroyed parts.

Marco stared at the ground, his thoughts replaying the same scene over and over.

(FLASHBACK)

"Marco, I don't know how to tell you this, because you're my best friend,"

"Star?"

"And that makes this super weird because..."

"What's wrong?"

"Because, I-I... I do have a crush on you,

I didn't want to admit it, because I know you don't feel the same way and I thought, if I just pretended that the feelings weren't there, they'd go away...

But they haven't.

I have to leave Earth, probably forever, and I couldn't go without telling you the truth."

"Uh, I... uh,"

"Goodbye! Goodbye everyone!"

(FLASHBACK ENDS)

Those seven words hit him: I do have a crush on you.

Marco continued staring at the floor, when, at the corner of his eye, he saw a piece of paper, slightly fluttering from the night's breeze, pinned to the door.

Marco grabbed the paper and started to read,

Dear Marco,
I'm mad at myself, not you. I'm mad for always being nice, always apologizing for things I didn't do, for getting attached, for making you my life, depending on you, wasting my time on you, thinking about you, forgiving you, wishing for you, dreaming of you... But most of all, for not hating you, which I know I should...
But I just can't.
And yet, all I wanted was you. I love you and it's killing me. I thought you were different. I was wrong. Truth is, you're the reason I don't believe in love anymore. I have a lot of things that I want to say the first time we met, but I chose not to say them. I could be with anyone in the world and be content, but I stayed with you, because when I'm with you, everything's better than I could've ever hoped for.
I acted like it wasn't a big deal, when really, it was breaking my heart. I keep it all inside because I'd rather the pain destroy me, than everyone else.

I wanted to talk to you about it. Damn it, I wanted to scream, I wanted to yell, I wanted to shout about it. But all I could do was whisper, "I'm fine."

I will always care for you, even if we're not together and even if we're far away from each other. It's crazy how we fall in love with people we can't have. Even if we can't be together in the end, I'm glad that you were a part of my life.

Star

Marco kept on rereading the last paragraph.
And in that moment,
He finally felt the pain that Star held on for so long.