Day 1

|Edited: 04/13/17|

It was the day after Star left Earth and returned to Mewni. Marco didn't attend school, Jackie barely saw him, his friends worry about him and his grades began to fall. But who could blame him? He lost his friend, someone who loved him and saw him in a way that he never saw her.
Marco shut himself inside the walls of his room, his parents stopping by every once in a while just to make sure that he's still in there. They would knock on his door, giving him his breakfast and nachos... which he denied.
His room was dark. The lights were out, the windows were covered and it was night. Marco sat on his bed, still staring at the letter, more specifically, the last paragraph,

I will always care for you, even if we're not together and even if we're far away from each other. It's crazy how we fall in love with people we can't have. Even if we can't be together in the end, I'm glad that you were a part of my life.

He placed the letter on the table beside his bed and lied down. He stared at the ceiling, not knowing what to do. Star was the only thing in his mind. And before he knew it, he had fallen into a deep sleep. Not knowing that the memories he shared with Star will haunt him that night, he closed his eyes.

(DREAM)

Marco felt like he was falling. He screamed, but he could only hear a distorted sound, as if he didn't exist. When he hit the ground, he didn't feel pain. He groaned, the sound of a distorted groan echoed across the dark empty space he was in.
He saw a light, it was small, but he decided to reach out to it. He walked closer to the light. The closer he got, the light grew. When he was standing right in front of the light, he realized that it was a portal. The portal was white, with a purple stream of light swirling into the middle, making it look like the top of a hurricane. When he stepped in, he was at a balcony.

Looking around, he could see a small town, just below the balcony. It was night. There were a few lights, mostly fire. It seemed as if they were afraid that the light might attract monsters. He heard a creaking sound. He turned and saw a door. It had been slightly opened,  revealing a small amount of light. The door opened wider, towards the inside. Star walked towards the railing, unaware of Marco who was like a ghost, she walked right past him. Star was staring at the moon. She wore what looked like armor instead of her earthly clothes. She rested her elbows on the rails, a frown upon her face. Marco must've been staring at her because he didn't notice Star's mom, the Queen, walk beside Star.

"I've lost somebody who wasn't even mine," Star said to her mom while continuing to stare at the moon. "Why does it hurt?" A sudden tear escaped Star's eye as she looked at her mom. For the first time in Marco's life, he never saw the Queen, Star's mom, hesitate.

After a moment, the queen answered, "Like ice melts to rain, sometimes love turns to pain. But the sky isn't always blue; the sun doesn't always shine, it's okay to fall apart sometimes."

"Someone told me that love can sometimes be magic, but magic can sometimes just be an illusion," Star said. "And someone told me that all magic comes with a price dearie," her mom said.

Star sighed and went back inside. Queen Moon sighed as she turned towards the moon. Marco looked at the door before turning towards the moon which had a tint of red that covered 1/4 of it. His eyes widened as he saw the surface of the moon play the moment of the Blood Moon Ball; the moment when he locked his hands with Star's, the ruby light shone down upon them. He shook his head and when he looked at the moon again, it was pure white. Marco sighed as he held the railing. The queen was still there, staring at the moon.

Did she see that? Marco wondered. Silence filled the air when the queen spoke up,

"Marco Diaz,"

The way she said his name sent shivers down his spine. He slowly turned to face the Queen of Mewni, to see her staring straight at him. "Y-You can see me?" He asked. The queen nodded slightly. "I brought you here, for you to see Star. However, she won't see you," she explained.

"You can't tell anyone. Not your friends, not your parents, no one. Do you understand?" She said. Marco nodded. "I'll bring you here every night, so that you may be able to see her," she added.

"But now, you must wake up."

And at that moment, Marco felt himself falling.

(DREAM ENDS)

Marco woke up with a start, breathing heavily, sweating. He turned to look out the window that left a bit of the outside light to shine on his room. It was still night. 12:07, to be exact, as he can tell from the clock. He walked towards the window and saw the red moon again.