Chapter 17 - Predators

- 1 -

The clear sky after the storm, the sun beaming down, insects buzzing, the smell of wet mud and a new life that smiled as the sparkling sun gleamed through the small window and touched her face. Kenji looked at her and exited the lighthouse, smelled the fresh air and looked around to collect fresh leaves for the soft bed. Izumi stood near the door, watching Kenji as he looked around the calm space.

'It looks like nothing ever happened, it was all a dream and now we're awake' Kenji said, inhaling the fresh aroma. Izumi didn't say anything. 'You should have stayed with them' Kenji said.

'I don't have to babysit them. They're not kids. Besides I don't have anything to do with them' Izumi replied, almost immediately.

'So you say! But you're not wrong. It's funny how people get together in the time of crisis even when they don't know each other' Kenji motioned forward to collect more leaves. 'But you know, they're not bad people. They're just scared of everything here, scared of you, even me' he tilted his head slightly to the side, wondering.

'They trust you' Izumi said. Kenji looked back. 'But I don't need something like that. I'll kill anyone who gets in my way' he walked out the door completely and slowly motioned around.

'Always talking about killing' Kenji sighed. 'If you're really here to get me out then you need to help them too' he looked at the lighthouse, pointing towards the others. 'It isn't always you or me. It's us now. Think straight Izumi.'

'I don't care. It has always been you and I and it'll always be like that. Trust is something I don't have or ask for. I do what's right for me.'

Kenji sighed, 'Then tell me now, what was the reason you killed those people for? The one that were in the crate with you.'

'I told you before that I killed them because I wanted to. There is no reason behind it' Izumi answered and looked away.

'And did you really ate their Epidermis?' Kenji raised both of his eyebrows, expecting a different answer. Maybe.

'Yeah!'

'I don't want to ask you why you did that but I'm not letting you do anything like that again' Kenji turned back and leaned down to collect more clean leaves. 'And if you try to act like a monster then I'll kill you!' Kenji said. That made Izumi realize that he will. Kenji was raised to be an assassin and was trained in multiple martial arts.

'Think you can do it?' Izumi asked, sarcastically.

'You're still my brother. I've said this before that we are alike and what you did cannot be undone. The same goes for me. But if I can't stop you from being a monster than I am not worthy of calling myself your big brother' Kenji stood straight, not looking back at him. 'And, we're both monster's after all' he said with a sad smile on his face. Izumi looked at him and remembered the same expression he made when their mother died. Kenji promised to protect him with the same sad, concerning smile.

Izumi understood that Kenji was trying to carry every burden on his own shoulders, even of the crimes that he never committed. It was frustrating.

Izumi laughed, 'Stop trying to be a hero.' He shook his head. 'And stop trying to take every burden on your own shoulders. You said that we're both monsters right?! So let this monster carry some of your burden' he smiled. For the first time after meeting Izumi, Kenji saw his little brother standing beside him and not just a monster created by Adam. Izumi was alive. Izumi was still a human.

- 2 -

Kenji and Izumi collected leaves for soft beds as well as mushrooms and edible leaves. While heading back they saw Eric exit the lighthouse and gaze towards the endless sea. They walked towards him, 'Why are you out alone brat?' Izumi asked.