Chapter 21 - Thank You

- 1 -

Kenji and Izumi were engaged in battle, stopping Adriel to penetrate their defense until the others take off. Even when Izumi pierced through the wolf's heart, it regenerated. Even when Kenji severed Adriel's arm, it attached itself back with ease. It was like they were immortal. No matter what they did, they stood in front of them, regenerating every time. Izumi and Kenji were overwhelming them in speed, but their power and regeneration was off the charts.

They fought and defended, until they stood beside them, breathing heavily. 'Piece of shits' Izumi spat. 'Can't seem to do anything' he said, panting.

'Totally' Kenji agreed. 'Few more minutes and they'll take off. Until then, let's hold on a little longer' he gasped. 'I have an idea, but for that to work, we have to move faster' he wiped his temples. 'So shall we?'

'We shall' Izumi nodded and sprinted towards Adriel.

Kenji turned back, took out another knife that was tucked behind and dashed towards the wolf. The wolf also dashed towards Kenji and jumped straight ahead. He growled, loud enough to send shivers down through anyone's spine, but Kenji didn't lose focus. Before the wolf realized, Kenji took a loop behind it and severed both of its legs. He then rolled over near an annihilator's dead body. He took out the grenade from the dead body's holder, removed the pin and threw it towards Izumi. One the other side, Izumi had immobilized Adriel by severing one of his legs and caught the unpinned grenade with his right hand. He took a quick breath, swiftly turned in front and put the grenade inside the wolf's mouth. He dashed backwards and took cover behind one of the dead bodies, lifting it up to protect him from the impact.

The wolf's body exploded from inside. It blew into many small pieces. Izumi checked on it to make sure that it was down this time. But in those few seconds, they lost sight of Adriel and he ended up near the choppers.

'GET OUT OF THERE NOW!' Kenji screamed. 'COVER BEHIND THE BUSHES' Kenji and Izumi ran towards Adriel.

'We'll take care of him' Izumi took his stance. 'Stay hidden and don't come out until we make him move far away from the choppers' he clenched his teeth. 'MOVE!' Izumi yelled. Everyone moved out of the choppers and hid behind the bushes. They took Desmond and started the emergency treatment on the wound. The medical kit that they found inside the chopper was only going to help with the emergency treatment. They had no choice but to cover the wound for now.

Enna was very calm, surprisingly she held herself stronger than some others out there. She helped Eric to stop Desmond's bleeding. Rob and Jeff helped them with the treatment. 'Let us handle the difficult part. We've been trained for medical emergencies like this but to fully operate on this wound, we'd need to get him to a hospital soon' Rob said.

'Thank you' Max said and looked carefully at the situation between Adriel, Kenji and Izumi. Evan and Ron joined him on the lookout. It was the least they could do. Besides protecting anyone else, Enna was important for Evan in this situation. Jillian sat beside Desmond to help them with the treatment.

'What do we do now Ken?!' Izumi huffed. 'This monster is different from the wolf. Even a grenade won't fit inside his mouth' he chuckled.

'It's not a good time to joke but that's true. He indeed is a monster and I doubt that a grenade will do any good' Kenji gulped and let out a deep breath. 'Besides he's not even taking us seriously. And you never told me the reason why you ate those people and the wolves we encountered' he looked at Izumi.

'Well it's kind of hard to be alert and talk at the same time but in a simple language, I need to feed the virus inside me to keep it in check from going berserk. And I mean, living food, or else I'll end up like that Juggernaut kid' he answered.