Chapter 9: Dinner

Jen Pov:

I wake up, check the clock and see that it's 11am. I pick up my phone and listen to a voicemail from the doctor. She informs me that Ainsley's bleeding is just an effect of her excruciatingly vivid nightmares. We are going to be experimenting with medicines that will help her. I quickly get up and throw on some sweatpants and put my hair in a bun. I go downstairs and find Ainsley sitting on the ground in the kitchen with Ava. The dog food bowl is full of cereal and the floor is covered in it"

"Good morning mommy" Ainsley says while she pets Ava

"Hi honey, you can wake me up next time if you want breakfast"

"Ava was barking so I fed her"

"Well thank you, but next time let's give her dog food instead of Cheerios. It's in the cabinet under the sink"

"Okay mommy" Ainsley says with a smile and I pick her up

"How about I make some pancakes for breakfast"

"Like at the hospital?"

"Yes but these will be better"

After breakfast Ainsley and I take Ava for a walk. She holds my hand tightly outside especially if anyone walks by. She does enjoy the fresh air and the trees.

"So Ains are you okay with Kyle coming over for dinner?"

"At our house?"

"Yeah, he and his daughter and baby Eli would come over for pizza"

"I like baby Elliot"

"Yes he's adorable"

"How old is his daughter?"

"She is fourteen and her name is Lorelei"

"How old am I Mommy?"

"Well the doctors think you are 6 based on your X-rays"

"Will Lorelei be my friend like Margret was?"

"Yes she can be"

"I miss Margret"

"I know baby" I say with a frown  "come on let's go home and clean up for tonight"

"Can we read some more?"

"Of course we can" I smile at her

We walk home and take off our coats. Ava goes to her dog bed next to the bookshelf and falls asleep. Ainsley and I curl up on the couch and I read her the story of Cinderella. She is really starting to love Disney princesses

"Hey Ainsley how about we watch the Cinderella movie" I say after we finish the book

"Really! I've never watched a movie before"

"Well lets watch it then"

I make some popcorn, which Ainsley loves, and we watch Cinderella. After the movie is over, she stands up and we dance around the house singing, A dream is a wish your heart makes. This is the only song Ainsley has ever heard since Margret used to sing it to her when she had nightmares. I plan on showing her all the Disney movies eventually and singing all the songs. I take Ainsley to her room so she can choose a nice but casual outfit for tonight.

"Alright so what do you want to wear"

Ainsley stares at her closet, she is still overwhelmed by the choice of clothing.