Chapter 31: Lineup

Jen's Pov:

I pick up the phone with a shaky hand

"Mrs Morrison, did you hear me?" The social worker asks me

"Umm yes yes I heard you"

"So Mr. Charlie Spencer has been taken into custody. The station is about an hour away from your home, he was found right outside your town. I suggest that you contact your attorney, this could be an extensive trial"

"Wait wait a trial?"

"Yes, he has the right to a trial. They have to bring forward all the evidence, and there is a chance Ainsley will need to testify."

"Testify?"

"Yes, also this is most important. You and Ainsley must come down to the police station so she can identify him in a lineup. We will also need a blood sample from her to do a DNA test."

My hands are shaky and my breathing has increased. Kyle has gripped my hand tight

I swallow hard "when will we need to do that?"

"Tomorrow would be best"

"Okay, thank you"

"This is a good thing Ms Morrison, don't worry"

"Right um thank you"

I hang up the phone and lean back on the pillow. Kyle looks at me expectantly as a tear drops down my face

"I couldn't hear everything, what's wrong?" Kyle asks concerned

"That was Ainsley's social worker, they caught Charlie"

"That's amazing!" He says

"He was found about 15 minutes from here. He was right here waiting to.......waiting to" I break down crying

I turn into Kyle's chest and he strokes my hair

"Baby it's okay, it's all going to be okay. He can't hurt her anymore, he can't hurt anyone"

"He knew where she was" I sob "it's all my fault"

He lifts my chin "hey, none of this is your fault, he's a crazy lunatic"

"If I wasn't famous, he wouldn't know that she's my daughter. Then he couldn't have tracked her down"

"Jen, that's just not true. If he wanted to find her, he could've. He could've found her because he's a desperate disturbed man"

"They need Ainsley to pick him out of a lineup"

"What! Don't they have piles of evidence and DNA on this guy"

"Yes but apparently they still need an eyewitness or something which is stupid. I'm just so frustrated and I just"

He kisses me to try and calm me down. I caress his cheek and he looks in my eyes

"When do we need to go to the police station"

"Tomorrow morning" I mumble "she has to see him tomorrow morning. How am I supposed to tell her"

"We will figure it out together. Let's just get some sleep now, no use in worrying at the moment"

"Are you sure you can sleep......I mean we were kind of in the middle of....."

"Jen the moment has passed. We need some sleep for tomorrow"

I kiss his lips sweetly and he rolls on his side of the bed. I tangle my legs with his and we fall asleep. I only sleep a little bit considering I'm worrying about tomorrow. Eventually my alarm wakes me up and I immediately get out of bed. Kyle groans and rolls over.