Chapter 30: 1st

Jen's Pov:

1 year, it's been 1 year since I met Ainsley and 1 year since I met Kyle. Meaning, today is Eli's first birthday. My parents have stayed with us the past three days and will be leaving tonight, So we have decided to throw a little party for Eli. Kyle invited his business partner and best friend, Ben. I've never met Ben since we've been busy after moving to New York. Luckily he only lives about an hour away, pretty close to my brother actually. Ben is like Kyle's brother, considering he doesn't have any siblings. He is also the only person in his life who never gave up on him. We also invited my brother and his family. They live about 45 min away and are willing to drive up for this. My mom and I have been working at cleaning and decorating the house. Kyle is making dinner and baking a cake. My dad took the kids out to lunch for a little while. My mom and I are setting up the dining room table.

"This is nice Jen" my mom says "I haven't spent enough time with just you"

"I know, I'm trying to make it up to you"

"Oh honey, I understand. And let me just say, I can't believe I am finally throwing a party for one of your children"

"Mom! He's not........well it's complicated"

"I know sweetie, but that man loves you. I see the way you look at each other. That kid only knows you as a mother figure"

"I know but I still feel a little guilty, like I'm replacing his true mother. Kyle doesn't like to talk about her"

"Jen, every mother wants their baby to be taken care of. She would want you to keep her child happy and healthy"

"Yes I guess that's true"

Thankfully we finish decorating before the first guests arrive. My brother Daniel, his wife Eleanor, and son Nick who is almost two now, arrive first. I usher them into the living room where my parents and kids are. Ainsley loves playing with Nick and it's quite cute to watch. After they arrive I help Kyle finish in the kitchen, then the doorbell rings. Kyle goes over and answers it and he immediately embraces the man in a hug. I'm assuming it's Ben. I walk over to him as he's giving Ben's wife a hug.

"Jen?" Ben's wife asks?

"Rose!" I say immediately recognizing one of my best friends Rose McIver

I hug her tightly then hug Ben tightly. I'm very close with Rose and have spent a lot of time with her and her husband. After our hugs Kyle looks at me completely confused

"You know them?" He asks me

"Rose is like a sister to me, you never told me anything about him or his wife."

"Jen you know I'm not that detailed"

"I know" I say as I roll my eyes at him

"Jen, I knew you adopted a daughter and were in a relationship. I didn't know it was this serious" Rose says to me

"I know, we really need to catch up"I say

"Wait how did you meet Ben?" Kyle asks me

"Well Rose and I used to be roommates in Vancouver, she's also an actress. So Ben visited sometimes and we hung out. Also I was at their wedding"

"I was the best man at the wedding!"

I look at him in shock

"Well that's an odd coincidence" Rose says

"How did this not come up?" Ben asks

"I have no idea, how did Lorelei not know?" I say

"Well she wasn't at the wedding" Kyle says "kids weren't invited"