Chapter 11: Parents

Jen Pov:

Ainsley has been living with me for a week now. We've been talking with the psychologist to help Ainsley with her nightmares and panic attacks. She's been having vivid dreams at least twice a night which end up with her sleeping in my bed. However, I'm not supposed to allow that. She needs to learn how to sleep on her own. It's difficult when your daughter is screaming and crying to not allow her into your bed. Anyways today my parents are coming into town. My mom has been dying for me to have children for a long time now so this is her dream come true. They are only going to stay in town for two days since I have to go back to work. I wake up to my alarm at 7:00 and get ready for the day. Ainsley gets up and we get in the car to go to the airport.

"Mommy are they going to like me?" Ainsley asks nervously

"Of course sweetie, they are your grandparents"

"Why do they have to stay with us" Ainsley asks as she fidgets with her hands.

"It's just for two days, it will be fun"

"Will they play with me?"

"Yes we can have tea parties and they can read to you too"

I look at Ainsley through the rear view mirror and she still seems nervous. It's not easy for her to meet new people and I'm hoping this goes well. I pull up out front and text my parents to let them know I'm here. I see them walk out of the building and I get out of my car. They run over to me and embrace me in a hug

"Jen honey we've missed you" my mom says

"Yes it's been too long dear" my dad says

"I know I know, here let me put your bags in the trunk" I say as they squeeze the life out of me

"No I've got it" my dad says

"And you know Ainsley is a little scared so don't get to excited please" I remind them

"Jen we've already talked about this. We will be extra careful" my mom says as she peeks at Ainsley through the window

I get in the backseat with Ainsley and hold her hand. She squeezes my hand and buries her head in my side. My mom drives the car back to my house with my dad in the passenger's seat. Ainsley barely whispers hi to them and won't even look at them. After a slightly uncomfortable ride home we walk inside the house and Ava greets us. I carry Ainsley in my arms with her legs wrapped around my waist and we sit down on the couch. She hugs me tightly and leans her head in the crook of my neck. Eventually, she turns around to see my parents sitting across from us. Once Ainsley looks at my father she lets out an ear piercing scream and runs upstairs to her room. I try to grab her arm but she gets away. My parents look at me in shock.

"Don't worry, she'll be okay" I say reassuringly and run up to Ainsley's room.

I open her door and find her hiding under her covers. I go over to her bed and pull her in my arms. I rub her back soothingly as she shakes and cries. It breaks my heart to see her like this

"What happened Ains" I whisper as I kiss the top of her head

"He he he........" she cries

"Shh shh it's okay, just tell me what's wrong"

"His hair, he looks like Charlie" she manages to say through her sobs

I try to hold back my tears to comfort her
"....Oh baby I'm sorry, he just has gray hair. Many people have gray hair......it doesn't mean he's bad"

"He's not like him?" She stutters as I wipe the tears from her face

"No, he is a good man. He's my dad and I love him. You will be okay, I'm right here"