Chip In My Smile

Kevin needed some air. He'd been reading over the last two paragraphs of his law and justice book for hours. It was pretty late, but he didn't have an early class tomorrow.

He went out of the room, Arnold was still not back yet, to take a walk around campus. It was a warm night, and the moon was high. It cascaded white light over the dark grounds. The trees reached to catch the moon and its magic, but could never hold it for long as Kevin passed. The sounds of the choir of the night were in full swing. It had a rhythm all its own.

Kevin stopped walking to listen. He heard owls, and crickets, and...someone crying? He silently walked over, the dark being his invisible cloak.

There was a man on the bench. His red hair was sparking in the moonlight and he looked like a fairy that lost his way. The vest the man had on was shimmering pink and white gems across the bench and grass. The blue tie was the softest thing Kevin had ever seen. A diamond in the sea of rose quartz moonlight. Kevin felt like he was intruding on holy angel that had fallen to earth after seeing the grief and pain that life had caused it.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid..." it sobbed. Kevin recognized that voice, even if the night took the face away and lined it with white forms. The tears glimmered and Kevin couldn't stand there anymore.

"Hay there Connor, are you okay? What's wrong?" He asked hesitating then sitting on the bench a little ways away to give the man some space.

"He never loved me..." Connor sobbed, the sound of it broke Kevin's own heart.

"What..." his mouth went dry. He didn't like seeing Connor this way.

"I had faith in love, I followed where it told me to go." Connor put his arms around himself.

"It told you to go here?" Kevin looked around at the campus.

"To my personal Hell Dream. It hasn't worked out very well. I wish that I were dead." Connor took a breath before words tumbled down his tongue. "I am a total laughing stalk, I know almost no one here. I'm a joke he and his friends can just tease. I should have stayed home instead of doing this. Just bash my head in with a rock why don't you?"

"Wait a second..." Kevin said looking at Connor strangely. "You came here to follow a man, but instead your acing Professor Missions classes and feeling bad?"

"Yes? Gosh, it sounds stupid when you put it like that..." Connor looked at the ground. "Why did you come?" He looked up. Kevin didn't expect that.

"I was chosen. It's not something I really want to do, but my father said I would make a lot. I already feel like I'm a disappointment to him, so I thought that if I became something incredible he would be proud of me. I worked hard to get into this school. I worked Missions for the church and got a job to be able to afford the books I needed. I didn't think it was going to be this hard. I'm almost flunking." Kevin put his head in his hands. Connor had stopped crying at was looking at Kevin.

"Sounds like you have a nick on your shoulder." Connor said.

"A what?" Kevin raised his head out of his hands to see that Connor had gotten closer.

"I nick in your shoulder. Something that got you down, something that makes you seem sad and desperate. You smile and people see it and don't think you mean it. You need a good luck charm. Something to keep you motivated." Connor said scooting closer. Kevin could see the little gleaming trails that the tears that had been shed went down. Connor was so strong.

"You need a good luck charm, big or small it doesn't matter. With the chance you've been given, I'm sure I can help you." Connor quickly brushed the tear trails away before Kevin could.

"That sounds like a lot of work. You're coming here just for love right? How do you do all of this craziness and still have one of the top grades in the class?" Kevin said astonished.

"Well-- I don't go to big parties a lot, it's not a good way to spend my time. I don't spend hours doing my hair or staying in shape." Connor said woefully. Kevin felt self conscious. He had spent a good amount of time everyday to getting his hair just right.

"I also have motivation. I want to impress my ex... well not anymore, but I use to. Now I'm not sure." Connor faded out of it.

Kevin brought him back saying something astonishing. "How about this, I'll try and impress you and you try and impress me? That way we are both motivated." Connor smiled.

"I think I'd like that." Connor said stretching and standing up. "That's final, I'm coming to your room tomorrow to help you study."