Africa

DING DING DING!!!

Connor stepped through the doors of an old hair salon. It was the cheapest on campus. It smelled in here.

"Hello and welcome to my salon! How may I help you today?" A man called from the counter in a booming voice. Connor saw the man. He was African. Dressed in a colorful shirt and short pants. He had yellow dirty flip-flops on and smiled wide.

Connor found himself smiling his automatic smile. "Hi, I'm Connor McKinley, I believe I have an appointment?" He looked around, "is this the right place?"

He man nodded, "I am Mafala Hatimbi, you can call me Mafala." He said humbly. "What would you like me to do?"

"Can you dye my hair black?" Connor asked, Mafala starred.

"Why would you want me to do that? You have perfectly nice hair. It may need a trim, but to dye it. What's the point?" Connor looked at the floor. "Wait, I bet I can guess. You're heart-broken so you want to look good so you can get them back." Connor didn't say anything just nodded. Mafala frowned and thought for a moment.

He directed Connor to a seat, and left the room. Connor was puzzled before he came back with a old chess board. Though the set was old and looked like it could break, the artifact held a soft feeling with it, of comfort and home.

"If I feel bad, I play this and it never fails. I pretend that I am home in Africa with my people." Mafala slowly set up the board with care. "I came to America to see my daughter through her education. I miss home, though. My people were going through hard times when I left. So when I feel lonely, I like to play." Mafala motioned for Connor to start. He was the black pieces. He moved a pawn.

Mafala started talking again. "I remember Africa. The dirt smell and the children running around. Poor kids who couldn't afford to go school would come to me. I'd teach them for free. Not many things, but how to wash cloths. How to listen to their mamas." Mafala paused. He thought over his move, and pushed out his knight.

"My wife was so happy. She would bake Tatale and give it to the kids. Nabulungi would come home from school and she would tell us what she had learned. She was such a happy girl. As bright as the sun, that's what her mama would say." Mafala seemed to be lost in thought.

"One day they got sick, Nabulungi and mama. I cared for them. It seemed like something had infected the well. We didn't have anything to clean it." Connor moved and took one of Mafalas pawns.

"Nabulungi is a strong girl, but her mama was tired. She had never really recovered all her strength after her pregnancy. The disease only got worse for her. I was lost after she died. Nabulungi was all I had left. Eventually, she got better. I made a new well out of necessity." Mafala took Connors queen.

"My little girl grew up. I learned that loss is just a phase in your life. Changing yourself to fill the loss does nothing to get it back. You just feel empty. So you learn to fill it with other things. I fill mine with love for my daughter." Mafala smiled,"Checkmate."

Connor smiled wider, "thank you." Mafala nodded and started to put away the board.

"I am glad to see you happy Connor." Mafala smiled like a man who only knew joy. Connor could see underneath how much his daughter meant to Mafala.

"I'll come back, and maybe we can play some more?" Connor offered.

"I would like that." Mafala said placing the board on the counter. Connor stood to leave. He shook Mafalas hand; Connor didn't feel so alone anymore.

~After Classes~
"Papa, I am home!" Naba yelled. Mafala was in his shop.

"I am here, come to see your old man eh?" He chuckled. Naba hugged him.

"I missed you too." She laughed. "And I brought food." She held up a bag. "Chicken stew with some rice. Also some Peri Peri, in case you don't want the stew."

Mafala smiled, "How could I ever ask for a better daughter?" Naba laughed as he leaned in and kissed her forehead. Naba looked in the corner and saw the old chess board. "Did someone come over?"

Mafala nodded, "A lost lamb, but I pointed him in the right direction."

"What did he want?" Naba asked.

"To dye his hair." Mafala chuckled.

"Papa, we don't have any hair dye." Naba smiled and Mafala nodded.

"I know," he laughed,"but I got a new chess partner." Naba rolled her eyes and took out her newest discovery, The American Cheeseburger.

"Papa, have you looked at the site yet?" Naba asked, biting into her rare burger.

"Nabulungi, how many times do I have to tell you, I am not interested in dating." Mafala said good naturedly.

"Who will take care of you when I find someone I want to be with? I cannot live here forever. Besides since mama died you have been on me about finding a nice place." Mafala nodded in defeat.

"Fine we will look after dinner. You really are the best lawyer." Naba nodded and continued to eat her burger happily. She thought of the funny kid she kept running into. Arnold was a true gift from the world. She loved listening to his stories. She had promised that she would watch Star Wars with him one day. She smiled coyly. Her Papa raised an eyebrow, but didn't comment. He was just happy she was so happy.