five

KARA DIDN'T sleep a wink that night

KARA DIDN'T sleep a wink that night. She spent the entirety of her night worrying what Betty would think of her now, how hurt she was, and what she was going to say to her tomorrow. No matter how much she practiced her apology in her head, it never came out right.

Archie texted her at about ten thirty, letting her know that he had talked to Betty and that she was home safe. Veronica had tried calling several times, finally resorting to leaving a desperate voicemail of reassurance, trying to help her believe that it was Cheryl that had gotten into Betty's head and that she wasn't mad. Kara had ignored them both.

But of course, when she arrived at school, sleep deprived and moody, Veronica was the first to greet her. "Kara," she called, marching across the hallway to meet her at the door. Kara smiled halfheartedly, "Ronnie."

"Okay, so I ordered some yellow daisies for Betty, signed V and K," Veronica told her immediately, "And had some Magnolia cupcakes flown from New York." Kara blinked, shocked.

"Thank you, Veronica," she mumbled as they started to walk towards the office where she apparently would be making a formal apology, "But, um.. why?"

Veronica pressed her lips into a thin line. "I may have said some things to upset her," the dark haired girl admitted. She quickly recoiled, waving her hands around. "I didn't mean anything by it, but Betty... She probably hates me."

Kara snorted, her green eyes scanning the hallway until they settled on Jughead talking with... Archie. "You and me both," she mumbled.

"Who's V and K?" a voice from inside the front office wondered aloud. Veronica grabbed Kara's arm and dragged her inside, saying, "Veronica and Kara."

Kevin and Betty looked up from the note that was previously attached to the yellow flowers Veronica had delivered. "The yellow in for friendship," she explained, with a half-hearted smile, "Kara suggested those, and I ordered some cupcakes, all the way from New York."

Betty's blue eyes were glued to her hands, but Kevin was glaring at them, quite obviously. "A-as my mom always says," Veronica beamed, "There's no wrong the right cupcake can't fix."

"Also..." Kara added, "I was planning on asking my mom to take us for hers-and-hers mani-pedis at Chez Salon." Betty looked up finally, and Kara felt her heart clench tightly when they locked eyes. Her's were filled with cautiousness, reluctance even. "Betty, I-I am... So, so sorry," Kara mustered out.

"I wasn't thinking clearly," she mumbled pleadingly, "I had a lot of punch last night, and I'm pretty sure someone had poured an entire bottle of vodka into it..." She took a deep breath to clear her thoughts. Betty and Kevin stared at her expectantly. "I regret going into that closet with Archie, Betts," she admitted, complete and totally honest, "And I've been trying so hard to come up with some way to get you to forgive me-"

Betty stopped her with a single statement. "Kara, it's okay." The redhead blinked. "What?"

"I understand," Betty told her, "And I forgive you." Veronica clapped her hands together, beaming brightly. "We will take this second chance and not waste it, Betty," she proclaimed, "Thank you so much."