nine

"IF YOU publish a story saying I fired that gun, my life will be ruined!"

Kara winced when Dilton Doiley decided to start yelling. His voice was very high pitched and loud, which didn't mix well with her major hangover. "I'll be banished from the adventure scouts and charged with a misdemeanor," he hissed, lowering his voice when he saw students passing in the halls.

Betty, who stood between Jughead and Kara, shifted uncomfortably. Jughead had confronted Doiley the day before and told him to come forward and make a statement.

"But what if I have a better story?" he offered. Jughead raised an eyebrow. "If I tell you what I know," Doiley began, "Promise me the gunshot stays amongst us."

Betty nodded fervently. "You have our word as journalists." Doiley looked at Juggy and Kara, who nodded in reluctant agreement. He cleared his throat. "I saw something at Sweetwater River. Something nobody else saw..." Betty leaned forward, eager.

"Ms. Grundy's car. She was there."

-/-

"The drive-in closing is just another nail in the coffin of Riverdale!" Jughead exclaimed, hitting his hands on the table at Pop's. "N-no, forget Riverdale; a coffin of the American dream. As the godfather of indie cinema, Quentin Tarantino, likes to say-"

"Please, God, no more Quentin Tarantino references," Kevin demanded. Kara chuckled from beside him, swirling her spoon around in her milkshake. The sugary drink hurt her teeth, so she didn't want the rest of it. She didn't need more pain, especially after nursing a hangover all day.

"What? I'm angry," Jughead grumbled, glaring out the window, "And not just about losing my job. The Twilight Drive-In should mean something to us... People should be trying to save it."

Veronica shrugged to herself, looking up at him and Betty. "In this age of VOD and Netflix, do people really want to watch a movie in a car? I mean, who even goes there?"

"People who want to buy crack," Kara suggested, having seen the drive-in this morning to pick up Jughead after work. "And cinephiles and car enthusiasts," Jughead barked, looking to Betty for support, "Right Betts?"

Betty set down her plain vanilla shake, swallowing quickly. "Totally," she nodded. Jughead sighed, shaking his head. "Anyway, its closing because the town owns it, but didn't invest in it. So when an anonymous buyer gave Mayor McCoy an offer, she couldn't refuse..."

Veronica frowned. "Anonymous? What do they have the hide? No one cares-"

"I do!" Jughead exclaimed. He lowered his voice. "And you guys should all come to closing night. I'm thinking American Graffiti... or is that too obvious?" he grinned at Betty.

Veronica splayed her hands out in surrender. "I vote for anything with Audrey Hepburn... or Cate Blanchett." Kevin nodded, "Or The Talented Mr. Ripley."