Chapter 19 - Paramedics

Veronica's POV

  I casually walk down the stairs after giving mommy and daddy their breakfast. Then suddenly, I see Nessa collapse on the floor.
"Nessa!" I shout and run to her. I place her in my arms and start crying. "Please wake up!" I see Tiger in front of me. He looks so innocent and sweet. I call for my parents. "Mommy, daddy! Nessa just fainted!"
  I hear something drop from my parents room and quick footsteps coming my way.
  "What happened here?" My dad ask when he approaches me.
  "I don't know, all I saw was Nessa collapse as I walked down the stairs." I reply.
  "We need to call an ambulance, honey," my mom says. I see my dad pull out his phone and dial in 911. My mom comes next to me and starts crying. She starts brushing Nessa's hair with her fingers.
A few moments later, I turn back to see my dad hang up the phone.
  "An ambulance is coming any minute now, I'll go make sure the door is open," my dad says and leaves to go to the door.
"Mommy," my mom looks at me. "Is Nessa going to be okay?"
"Of course dear," she replies. I smile. "You know dear, you said the exact same thing when you and Nessa were 5."
"I did?" I ask shocked.
"Yep. Don't you remember?" My mom asks. I nod my head no. "Let me tell you."

Flashback

"You can't catch me!" 5 year old Roni exclaimed while running. Little Nessa and Roni were playing tag in their grassy backyard in Missouri. Their parents quietly watched them while drinking their preferred beverages.
"Slow down Roni!" Nessa whined as she chased her twin.
Roni ignored her and started to run faster. She looked behind her and saw Nessa trip and fall on the concrete ground. "Nessa!"
"Ouch!" Nessa screamed. Her parents immediately ran over to her.
"Are you ok?" Her mom asked. Nessa nodded her head no.
"Here, let's fix you up inside," her dad said. He picked her up and took her inside.
Meanwhile, Roni asked her mom,"Is Nessa going to be okay?"
"Yes dear, everything will be fine," her mom responded.
"This is all my fault," Roni cried.
"No it's not. It was just an accident."
"But if I didn't run so fast, Nessa wouldn't have tripped," Roni continued.
"Well that means you should be careful next time. Okay?" Her mom said gently. Roni nodded her head and then embraced her mom.

End Flashback

  "Wow, I totally forgot about that," I say after she finishes telling the story.
  "See, there's nothing to worry about," my mom pats my shoulder. "Oh, they're here."
  I turn to see some paramedics come over to Nessa. I step back to give them some room. They do some check ups on her first. My mom comes over to me and holds my hand.
  A paramedic looks at us and says, "She'll be ok, she just needs to take some medication when she wakes up."
  "When will that be?" My mom asks.
  "A few minutes," he responds.
  My mom sighs in relief and I do the same. I look to see my dad has been watching from the doorway the whole time.
  "What's her name?" The paramedic asks.
  "Vanessa," I say. It's weird saying her real name after calling her by her nickname my whole life.
  "Ok, Vanessa are you awake?" The paramedic tries to wake her up with a tap on her shoulder.
  Suddenly, her eyes open. "Nessa!" I run to her and hug her.
  "What's going on?" She asks.
  "Honey, you fainted," my mom answers.
  I pull out of the hug and look at her. "What happened?" I ask.
  "What do you mean?" Nessa says confused.
  "Everything was normal and then I see you collapse on the floor," I say concerned.
  "Excuse me, but I just need to talk to your parents outside," the paramedic says. Nessa and I both nod and watch as they left the room leaving only Nessa and I.
  "I don't know if I should tell you," Nessa says embarrassed.
  "Why? Nessa, we promised to never keep secrets from each other," I say.
  "Fine, I saw Tiger say something," Nessa says. I look at her confused. "I'm serious Roni!" She gets up from the floor and I do the same.
  "What?"
  "Remember the dream I told you about this morning?" I nod my head. "Well, I think it came true."
  "Are you sure?" I ask. Nessa nods her head. "Prove it."
  "Ok," Nessa walks over to where Tiger was on the couch. She picks him up and says, "Speak!"
  "Hello Veronica!" I see Tiger say in a fancy accent.
  "See! I told you!" Nessa says.
  I look at her and back to Tiger. "You've gotta be kidding me!" I say.