Phan 9: The Existential Crisis

Sabrina walked out of her room to go for a walk. “Sabrina, dinner will be ready in a few minutes.” Phil says. She nods and sits down on the couch, zoning out on something. “Sabrina, dinner!” Dan calls. She sits down and eats her food in silence. “Sweetheart, is something wrong?” Phil asks. “Oh everything.” She says sighing. “School, tests, homework, the stress to graduate.” She puts her fork down and takes her half eaten plate to the kitchen. “I’m not hungry anymore.” She says quietly. She silently walked upstairs and shut her door. Phil looks at Dan in utter shock. “I’ve got this.” Dan takes one last bite of his food and walks upstairs. “I’m coming in.” He knocks and opens the door slowly. Sabrina sat in her closet. She often went here when she felt sad, or scared, or just didn’t know what else to do. She pulled her legs up to her chest and curled herself up into a ball. “Sab,” Dan walked over and sat down next to her. “I-I know what you’re going through.” He puts an arm around her. “How? How do you know, or can even possible relate to this?!” She shoved his arm off of her. “Let me tell you a story,” He got himself as comfortable as he could in the cramped closet. “When I was in University, I was studying law, and one night I had just had it. I threw my papers everywhere, I was done. I had, a mid life crisis. I had no idea what I was going to do with my life and why the fuck I was even studying law,” Sabrina jumped slightly at her father’s language, he usually didn’t swear directly in front of her. “So I took a year off, and it was the best, and now I get to do what I love, YouTube.” She nods. “Why don’t you just take a break, take a break for a day and just relax.” Dan says. “Ok, I think I will.” She was regaining life back into her. “Thank you dad.” She says looking up to her father. “No problem.” He hugs her. “If you need anything, don’t be afraid to ask me or dad ok?” “I know dad, I’m not a little kid anymore.” She says. “I know, but you need to stop growing up.” Dan kisses her on the head and walks back downstairs. Phil looks at him. “She’s fine.” “Good,” Phil wraps his arms around Dan. “Babe, are you crying?” Dan tried so hard not to. “No,” he says with a crack in his voice. “It’s just allergies, that’s all god Phil.” Phil smiled and rubbed Dan’s back.