Chapter Sixty Two

Dove woke up the next morning feeling incredibly vulnerable and naked. Sure, she still had clothes on, but not the amount that she'd usual have on. She only had a bra and her shorts on, and it took a moment before she realized why. Her eyes moved slowly around the room, until they landed on the body laying beside her. She clenched her jaw and slowly rolled out of bed so that she wouldn't wake him, but the moment she moved the blanket, he sat up and stretched.

"Morning beautiful," he grumbled tiredly before he yawned. Dove clenched her jaw to keep herself from saying anything that would end badly on her part, so instead, she forced a smile and kicked her legs over the side of the bed so that she was sitting up. "Sleep well?"

In reality, she didn't. She kept having nightmares about Max and what would happen if he knew what had happened between Johnny and her. Did she even like Johnny the way he liked her? She wasn't sure, and she sure wasn't going to start thinking about that now after what happened last night. If Johnny was going to get all protective over her just because she was emailing a guy, she didn't want to see what would happen if she wanted to break up with him. He'd probably try to kill her and get away with it. "Yup," Dove murmured quickly before she swooped down and grabbed the purple shirt she wore the previous day. She forced it over her hand and then pulled it down before she grabbed a black pair of sweats and pulled those on. "You?" She asked quietly as she made her way toward her closet to grab a black sweater that she loved to wear.

"Absolutely terrific, baby," he said back with his goofy smile. Dove clenched her jaw when she glanced at him and immediately turned her back to him and began to brush her hair with the brush she picked up from her nightstand. "You're a beautiful kisser too, you know that?"

Dove felt chills, and not the good kind. She shivered slightly but covered it up with a forced sneeze. She wiped her nose with her sleeve as she said a quick "excuse me," and then continued to brush out the knots from her hair.

"You're amazing," he said truthfully as he stood up, causing the bed to creak from the loss of pressure. "And you're gorgeous, smart, clever," Dove heard his teasing voice getting closer from behind, so she turned to face him and continued to brush her hair. She didn't want him to touch her. But at this point, whatever she wanted didn't matter. She didn't matter. Johnny smirked lovingly toward her and gently wrapped his arms around her hips.

Again, she shivered but sneezed into her sweater and murmured a quick "excuse me."

"Do you have a cold?" He asked with an odd worried expression. Dove avoided eye contact but he didn't care and brought a hand to her forehead. "I don't feel a fever. Maybe we should make you some tea so that we catch it before it gets worse." Dove wanted to glare at him, but instead swallowed it down and let herself force a grateful smile before he pulled her out of her room and toward the messy kitchen.

Maybe Dove needed Max.

Maybe Dove needed a superman.

Or maybe Dove deserved this.