Chapter Seventy Three

~Five Days Ago~

Max stood frozen by the entrance door to the attic. He felt the smallest quiver of his fingers as he slowly turned around and looked down the stairs he had spent so much time working to get up on. His throat felt tight and suddenly, his mouth was dry, and no matter how much he tried to swallow down some saliva, it didn't help. Time felt like it both froze, and sped forward right in front of Max's eyes, but then everything snapped like a thick twig when his father appeared at the bottom of the stairs in front of him.

"What are you doing up there?" He asked with his deep voice, already managing to intimidate Max in ways that could not be explained. Max gulped again and then rubbed his sweaty hands on his pants before his father continue. "You're supposed to be resting," his father continued and then he took a step up one of the steps. Max clenched his jaw and took a very small, hesitant step back. "Max," his father warned roughly. "Get down from the attic. Now." Max winced at the words and felt one of his eyelids twitch, but then he let all of the breath out of his lungs and he stepped down the stairs slowly. "Good," his father muttered and returned to the main level. "Now go to your room and rest. I'll make you dinner soon."

Max nodded and then immediately bolted toward his room as quick as he could for someone who had stitches all over. His wounds were healing at a quicker pace now, but it was still fairly slow.

Then, he collapsed on his bed and a deep slumber hit him straight like a speeding semi on the highway.