23: Brothers

Garroth's POV:

My eyes open slowly, my head throbbing. I was lying on a stone cold floor, making me shiver. I sat up and looked at my surroundings.
I was in the cave but, the only thing different was that my leg was chained to the wall.

"Isn't it nice," Gene says sinisterly, looking down at me. "Knowing that you're trapped. Knowing that you're weak and can do nothing about it. How does that feel Ro'Meave?"

I didn't answer just looked at him. To think, everything you knew was gone. I knew what they were going through. I just wanted to help them.

"What do you want," I asked, eyes narrowed.

"Heh, right to the point I see," He chuckled. "We just need you for information regarding the relics and Ru'an itself. So, please, just answer some simple questions and you'll be set free."

"Why would I do that exactly," I asked.

Gene's smirk disappeared, replacing it with the most angered face I've ever seen.

"Let's just say, that little daughter of your's won't last till spring."

I bolted up and tugged at my chain to charge him.

"Don't you dare touch her!"

"That depends if you do what I ask."

I sighed, I wasn't able to do anything at this point. My sword wasn't at my side and I felt to weak to use my powers. His devilish laugh echoed through the walls.

"Now, tell me, how's it been? I mean, I know a head guard wouldn't wear something this lavish so, have you earned a promotion or have the rules changed?" He asked.

"..."

"I'm waiting."

"Five hundred seventeen years ago, I was made Lord of Ru'an. Anything you ask, I could probably answer."

"Oh, I see. So, you are really important like, I thought." He comes closer to me, knowing I wouldn't try and hurt him. "I could kill you right now and take control but, there's still more that we all need to know."

I looked away from his eyes and noticed that all the others but, Zane was there.

"Is there any special security around the...wait, did you say Ru'an?"

I nodded, looking down. Ashamed of how easily I was breaking. Gene laughed hysterically.

"This is too good! The man who faked his death to not become Lord of a village but, now he's Lord of a whole empire almost!"

The others snickered.

"Now, like I was going to ask before, any...security that we should worry about?" He asked.

"You know me. I have experience so, of course there's security."

"How hard to pass?"

"Your chances are pretty low."

He narrowed his eyes.

"Are you defying me?"

"Why, yes." I say, looking him in the eyes. "Long ago, we beat you. You failed. We won. You left. We stayed. If you really think there is some possible chance you can beat me, think again. I bet you won't make it pass the gate."

He twitched.

"One. More. Question." He says.

The others seemed to close in but, Gene held up his hand. Showing them to stop.

"What was it like, to see everyone you love die? Be in the same room, knowing that you'll probably never see them again? What's it like to have a whole empire on your shoulders as well as daughter and be breaking inside?" He says, his smirk widens by each word but, through gritted teeth. "What's it like to defeat time, Ro'Meave?"

"Gene, stop."

My whole body shook. I felt like I was breaking even though I got so far. Everything. Every emotion. Every regret. Every memory. Coming back to me all at once. It felt like my whole life was flashing before my eyes.

"Zane, why do you care?" Gene asked, a whisper.

I looked up to see my younger brother, holding his arm in front of Gene, as if to stop him from doing any more harm.

"I don't. Look, we have the information we need. We can go." Zane informed.

"Let Michi slit his neck first then, we can go." Michi says with a chaotic smile across her face.

"No. He's still useful. If we rid of him now, we have no plan b." Zane says, crossing his arms.

"Fine. Just know, he gonna get it since his stupid lizard was the one who killed me in the first place." Ivy says, pointing her sword right at me.

"Zane's right. Let's go." Zenix said.

Gene rolled his eyes and looked at me once more. I was back on the floor, holding myself up with my hands. He clutched my jaw with his hand.

"If you even try, I won't hesitate to finish that dye job Ivy was talking about."

He let's go of me.

"Immortal Lord. Heh, more like immortal mess." Zenix says, turning away.

The first four leave. Zane still there.

"You know, Garroth. Sometimes I don't understand you. You want to protect but, yet," He turns towards me, looking me with his eye. "You made a very stupid decision."

"You'll see. I always have my ways."

"Huh?"

"Why do you think I haven't been killed yet, Zane?"

He shook it off and turned away again.

"Don't do anything stupid. You may be an idiot but, I can't stand to see my brother die. Not like this."

I was shock to hear the words that came out. I stood up again, taking his wrist.

"Zane, let me help you."

"Garroth...please. This is my fate. I either succeed or die."

"Not if I save you."

"From what?"

"From yourself. From the lie you have been living."

I make him face me, I rip off his mask, his freckles showing.

"You have love in this world. Let me give it to you."

He pushed me away, like always. His hands took the mask from mine and he put it on tighter than before.

"I'm sorry, brother. I can't. I'm a person who can't change."

He goes to the exit of the cavern.

"Besides, this is a suicide mission, right? I guess you won't have to deal with us later than."

He left. The only thing left for me was the drops of water echoing.

"No. I'm sorry, Zane."

I concentrated. I blocked out all sound and focused on only the chain that wrapped around my ankle.
I thought of Zane. How I abandoned him so many years ago. How I left him in the dust. How I could probably never make it up to him.
I thought of the other four. How their lives were probably much worse. How I could help them if I just try harder.
I thought of Gabriella. I thought of how she makes me smile still when my whole world seems to be crashing around me. I thought of how we help each other feel better on raining days. I thought of the nightmare she was in. He cold body lying on the cobble stone path.

I refused to let them touch my only sunshine in this world. I refused to let them hurt my home.

I refused to let them feel sorrow for something that I can help them for.

A sword formed in my hand, and, in one swing at the chain, it evaporated, leaving nothing. I wasn't able to hold it long though. I started to see stars around me but, I refused again to be put down. I let the sword go away. I need my strength to walk anyways.

"I'm coming, I promise."

Word Count
1246