27: Other Nations

1 week later...

Aphmau's POV:

"Whoever votes that Garroth is an idiot," Vylad announced, getting our attention. "say I."

"Vylad," I say, calming him down. "he did the right thing. He gave the others another chance. Sure, not all chose that path but, now, Gene and Zane can live a better, happier life."

"I'm just worried, Aphmau," Katelyn addressed me. "Zane is the next...Shad. The destroyer. I see why Dylan got Kul'zak's but, Zane? Out of everyone, you saw Zane as part of he next Divine?"

"Like I said before, I don't remember the vision but, obviously, Shad's relic chose him for a reason."

The looking glass showed the small family baking goods in the kitchen after a busy week. Gabriella's suggestion.

"I'm glad Gene is getting a second chance," Dante says. "It just pains me that we couldn't tell Garroth that we put their souls in those tapestries in the first place."

"If we did, he would've doubted it every second," I say.

"He would've also been prepared to fight them again," Laurance shot back. "Did you see how close this was? He was literally looking death in the face."

"I realize that but, this was for the best," I assured him.

"Lady Aphmau, what's next," Liochant asked.

I looked at the family again, smiling.

"Let's hope they get a little bit of a break."

***

Garroth's POV:

I made the last few check ups around the village, making sure everything was safe. The houses, shops, families in general. The guards seemed to not be hurt and luckily, the gates are already starting to get repaired. I walked down the path, saying hello and stopping for conversations with families that I have become close to this generation. As I walking to my lay stop, I saw something I never really stopped to look at for a while now.

The old guard tower.

It seemed to have dulled over time. The wood seemed faded and the rock was cracked in many places. I always dreamt of turning it into something new, being that it hasn't been used in a long time.

I eventually made it to the relic room. I doubled checked to see if Michi or Gene may have snatched something in the process. All the remaining...two relics were still there. Travis's book, Dante and Laurance's swords, Katelyn's claws, Liochant's helm, Vylad's scrolls and map, Lucinda's staff, and lastly, Aphmau's diary. They were all accounted for, thankfully. They were still concealed in their glass cases, not to be touched, even by me.

"I forgot to tell you how beautiful this room is," Gene says, as he strolled into the room.

I turned my attention to him, smiling. Even just by being good for a week, he's already improved so well. I may not fully trust him yet but, definitely improving.

"So, I have to ask you something," He told me, fiddling with his hands. "Did Dante ever miss...ya know...me?"

I chuckled, looking on how he changed his actions around me so quickly.

"He did, Gene, I promise," I say, looking at the ruby machetes hanging on the wall. "In fact, before I came running in, I actually saw him."

Gene rose an eyebrow, confused.

"How?"

"I don't know. It's been happening for a while now, with everyone. He's the first person I saw for a long time. I can't ever tell if they are actually the real them but, I hope so."

"What triggers it, do you think?"

"I believe when I start to just give up on myself or need encouragement through others, I guess."

Gene smirked.

"Well, it's nice to see that you aren't falling apart."

"Heh, yeah..."

Gene looked around the room again, at all the artifacts. He seemed to be looking at every detail.

"What's this," He asked, pointing to an image.

It was a map of the world, one the last things Travis and Vylad did in their life time. They were the reasons I even knew about the other countries. Gene probably was confused, still thinking that Tu'la and Ru'an were the only two civilizations in the world.

"That's the world, Gene," I told him, walking to his side. "There's a lot more land to be discovered, I know it. This is just a mere fraction of it."

"It's...big."

"Yes, it took Travis and Vylad a year to find all this and record it down but-"

"I want to see it."

"Huh?"

"Garroth, I want to see it all! I want to spread my knowledge and help others on everywhere, just like you!"

"Gene, I'm sorry to say but, I have never left Ru'an. I think you'd only be doing this for yourself."

"Still. I want to do this! I want to help!"

I smiled widely.

"That's amazing, Gene! Is there anyway I could help?"

"Yes, I need a copy of this."

"Of course. Anything else?"

"Teach me everything you know and with that, I'll be able to teach you what I learn."

I nodded, guiding him out. I knew that this was the beginning of something wonderful.

***
It was. Gene went on to be a scholar and teach about his findings around the world. He even encouraged me to start a academy at Ru'an for young students. We did, together, with the help of Zane, Dylan, and Gabriella. We established the first public academy in Ru'an. Gene taught there for forty years before retiring. In that time span, he got married and had children like, everyone else probably would want in their life.

He died at the age of eighty-seven. He was buried near Dante, where his wife was buried also.

Zane and I, on the other hand, have become close in a way I never thought would happen. We never leave each other's side now and always joke about things here and there like, actual siblings. He has also, become second in command as general.

Gabriella, now attends the academy. Dylan and her, now are so much like, siblings. Gabriella definitely, like Zane become closer to me. Like glue even. She has still stayed my little girl, still smiling everyday.

Dylan and I, have bonded. He's training with me now and he's become Zane's assistant. He's become more confident and a bit of a jokester.

Me...I'm just waiting for the next thing.

End of Era

Word Count
1060