39: Don't Cry

Garroth's POV:

I put on my casual face as I went through my bedroom door, out to start another day. I couldn't tell anyone about my nightmare...it would only make them worry.

The sight of Zane crying, Gabriella dying, and Laurance a complete mess, scared me. What if it was more than a nightmare?

I just shook it off and kept going to the kitchen. On my way, I heard sobbing coming from...Zane's room?

I went to his door and knocked.

"Zane? Are you alright?"

I heard a sniffle and then;

"Y-Yeah. I'm fine. I'll be down in a sec."

"Can I come in?"

"Seriously, Garroth. I'm fine."

"Too bad. I'm coming in."

I barged in and saw Zane on the floor, in a corner of the room. He was holding something close to his chest as tears were flowing down his cheeks. His face looked numb and his eyes were puffy. His hair was a mess and he still had his PJs on.

"Zane! Oh my gosh! Are you alright," I say, rushing over to him.

I tried taking his hand but, he refused to.

"I just...I just got too deep into thought...it's nothing."

"Oh," I say, sitting down across from him, hugging my knees to my chest. "Do...Do you want to talk about it?"

"...You'll think it's ridiculous."

"Zane, I'm your brother. I would never think that."

He took a deep and looked me in the eyes. His ice blue ones looked like glass and would shatter any minute.

"I thought...what if one day, you were gone? Like, you disappeared or...you know."

I nodded, listening to every word.

"I mean, if you were gone, what would I do...without you? You are always there for me. Even when we were enemies, you always seemed to come back and show up in my life," He explained, becoming more relaxed. "I know that Ru'an would be okay, knowing that a wise Lord would take your place but, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Gabriella and the others would be devastated. I would practically break down. You're the only one who I know that...gets me. We have always been brothers and if I lose you...I'll have nothing left."

I came closer to him, taking his hand this time.

"You do know you'll have the others, right? You'll always have them too."

"I know but, I fear that...what if I go back to the darkness?"

I was taken back.

"W-What?"

"What if, I let the mask come back on? What if I forget about the light in the world again? You've been my anchor for so long and if you're gone, I don't know what I would do..."

"Zane..."

"G-Garroth, I'm scared for you. Every day I wake up, knowing that are people out there that hate you. What if...What if I w-won't be there to s-save you?"