2 - HIGHS AND LOWS

WHEN DIANA STARTED HIGH SCHOOL, SHE QUICKLY LEARNED THAT, INSTEAD OF COUNTING DAYS IN A SUCCESSION, FOOTBALL PLAYERS TOLD THEIR TIME BY COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS UNTIL "THE BIG GAME

WHEN DIANA STARTED HIGH SCHOOL, SHE QUICKLY LEARNED THAT, INSTEAD OF COUNTING DAYS IN A SUCCESSION, FOOTBALL PLAYERS TOLD THEIR TIME BY COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS UNTIL "THE BIG GAME." She rolled her eyes as she walked down the hall with Flash, dodging the arms of football players who were high-fiving him, shouting and cheering about the football game that Friday, something they had been shouting about for nearly two weeks.

"What is the big deal with this game? It seems like you guys are more excited than usual," she sighed as she squeezed through the crowd of people all trying to get to lunch.

"We're going against Standard High," he explained, "Only one of the best schools in the area. We're gonna crush 'em!" He shouted the last part to one of his teammates who cheered and whooped, running down the halls.

"Isn't that where Gwen and Harry were supposed to go?" she asked as they walked into the cafeteria, "Before Gwen decided she wanted a more focused STEM education and Harry got kicked out because he snuck in without registering?"

"Yeah," Flash said, "I heard their friends are killing them with texts, asking for our plays and stuff. It's really stupid."

Diana hummed. "I dunno, there's no harm in trying. But considering everything, I doubt they'll do it."

Flash nodded. "Yup. Tell them that I can't sit with you guys today for lunch. Or the rest of the week."

"Why?" she asked, grabbing a tray and sliding it across the counter.

"The others want me to sit with them, you know, before the big game. We might do some lifting, you know?" He slid his tray as well, fist bumping someone as they passed by.

She rolled her eyes. "Okay. Have fun, I guess."

He hummed and followed her to the lunch lady up front, handing her money for the both of them. With a pat on her back, he walked off towards a group of boys calling his name out loudly.

"Freshmen," a voice behind her sighed. She turned to see Betty Brant, a sophomore, shake her head. When she caught sight of Diana looking, she smiled apologetically. "Sorry. That's your boyfriend, right?"

Diana shook her head furiously. "No. No, I live with him."

"Oh," Betty said, eyes widening, "Oh, so you're—Gosh, I'm sorry. That makes sense, um, I'm Betty."

"Diana," she replied, stepping to the side to let more people walk. She noticed the flash went across the girl's eyes and instantly longed for the conversation to end; she didn't need more pointless apologies.

"Nice to meet you, Diana," she chirped, pausing before saying, "You know, you should join leadership next year. We could really use more people. We organize the dances and pep rallies and stuff. It's fun."

"Ah," Diana said, nodding, "Okay. Uh, I will think about it. Thanks." She would not think about it. She could tell a pity offer when she saw one.

"Yeah," Betty said, walking off, "Bye."