3 - THE BIG GAME

INSTEAD OF WATCHING A TRASHY ROMCOM ABOUT A SHIRTLESS MAN SWEEPING A PRETTY GIRL OFF HER FEET ON A LARGE FLATSCREEN TV, DIANA AND GWEN HAD TO WATCH A BUNCH OF SWEATY BOYS TACKLE EACH OTHER ON A LARGE GREEN FIELD IN THE FREEZING COLD

INSTEAD OF WATCHING A TRASHY ROMCOM ABOUT A SHIRTLESS MAN SWEEPING A PRETTY GIRL OFF HER FEET ON A LARGE FLATSCREEN TV, DIANA AND GWEN HAD TO WATCH A BUNCH OF SWEATY BOYS TACKLE EACH OTHER ON A LARGE GREEN FIELD IN THE FREEZING COLD. The two girls sighed, sitting on the bleachers, barely even clapping along with the rest of the stands whenever their team did something good. Gwen, who had initially tried out to be a cheerleader, only to back out right after, watched the squad, wincing whenever someone just didn't quite stick their landing. Diana watched everyone else in the stands, wondering what made them feel so involved. It wasn't a judgmental question, merely a curious one.

"I can't believe your godmother convinced my dad to let me leave," Gwen said, sighing, "It's impressive. I almost wish she hadn't."

"Same," Diana said, needing to shout over the roar of the stands, "But she couldn't show up for 'The Big Game' and she wanted Jesse and I to be there to support Flash, but we needed someone else."

Gwen smiled teasingly. "I'm so glad I was a last resort invite." Diana snorted and nudged her lightly, laughing when Gwen shoved her harder, nearly off the edge of the bench.

"Hi," Jesse said, reappearing with her arms filled with snacks. Her dark hair was put up in a messy bun, different from what it had been like when she stood up and offered to buy the food. She dropped some into the girls' arms, sitting back down. "What did I miss?"

Gwen shrugged. "No idea."

Jesse laughed slightly and watched the game. "I'm actually pretty into football, you know? If you're into it, it's pretty fun." She reapplied her lipgloss before shoving a few nachos into her mouth, humming.

"I heard Peter Parker is here today, he's helping out the yearbook," Gwen said, looking around for the boy.

Diana raised an eyebrow. "What's with you and Harry being so into Peter Parker? I mean, he's a sweet kid, but I don't get the interest. Did he do something?"

Gwen shrugged. "We just...we feel bad, you know? After you told us that Flash picked on Peter for years, well...we want to fix things, you know?"

Diana nodded earnestly. "Yeah, yeah, I get it. That makes sense. Is that why you wanted me to ask Flash during the reunion if he wanted to get better?"

Gwen nodded, biting her lip. "We wanted to tell you, but we weren't sure if you wanted to involve yourself. He is like your brother, you know?"

"Well, he's my biological brother, but I don't like what he does, so..."

The two girls tensed and looked over at Jesse who was looking at them with a raised eyebrow. "I mean, that therapist we saw for a few weeks explained some things and it makes sense, but I still don't like it."

Diana nodded slowly, remembering the therapist the entire family, herself included, having already lived with the family for two years, had gone to see after the death of Harrison Thompson. She was a nice person, understanding. She didn't understand why they only saw her for a short period of time, it was obvious that they all had to see her for some time, but never commented on it.