ix

"ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE YULE BALL"

Mrs. McGonagall stood in middle of the room along with a humongous horn turntable beside her, the small tabby known as Mrs. Norris and the Caretaker of Hogwarts School -- Argus Filch. As the horn turntable became static, the Gryffindor professor spoke, "The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its inception. On Christmas Eve night we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward -- and I mean this literally because the Yule Ball is first and foremost: a dance." As she finished her sentence, many accelerated whispered erupted from the girls' portion of the large rectangular room. Except the feelings of excitement wasn't the only emotion radiating from the two sides of the students ... the boys' side of the room groaned. Until Mrs. McGonagall shouted in a thunderous voice, "Silence!" And continued her speech: "The house of Godrick Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like babbling bumbling band of baboons. Now to dance is to let the body breathe. Inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight," whispers echoed by one side of the room. "Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance -- Mr. Weasley?"

The ginger boy looked up and uttered a short, "Yes?"

"Will you join me please?" Mrs. McGonagall nonetheless a command rather than a question. The ginger-haired boy stood and then followed the professor to the middle of the room, whom of which spoke, "Now place your right hand on my waist."

"Where?"

"My waist," Mrs. McGonagall confirmed. "Extend your arm. Mr. Flich, would you please..." As the lady finished, the Hogwarts School Caretaker turned the turntable to play a record, which played a simple tune. She mumbled, "One, two, three ... one, two, three ... one, two, three."

"Everybody come together -- Boys on your feet!" No boy seemed to have acknowledge Mrs. McGonagall's words, except Neville Longbottom -- whom glanced around to the other boys sitting amongst him, then stood up.

"A what?" the girl muttered as she sat in the sunken cushions of the Hufflepuff common room couch.

"A dance," another girl muttered beside her. She tucked a stray hair behind her ear and winked, "I think that someone will ask me."

"Who?" the other girl asked curiously.

"Etna, haven't I told you before?" The girl sighed and walked off toward the girls' dormitory. After her followed her friend. The common room seemed to have been empty, and the sun was currently setting in the sky. And the end of September was nearing, and as the students of the three schools knew: as was the next task of the tournament as well.