xi

"A GIFT"

Owls filled Hogwarts' castle grounds in a rush to deliver letters or presents to whomever it be sent to in such a limited time period

Owls filled Hogwarts' castle grounds in a rush to deliver letters or presents to whomever it be sent to in such a limited time period. Students in the great hall looked upward for possible deliveries, and were careful for any delivery to not cause anything to make a mess. Owls were only allowed to pass by the grounds only one a week as the tri-wizard tournament passed by, so no owls wasted time in delivering. By the lake is where Alana Wallace began her momentarily due Defense Against the Dark Arts homework assignments, and she jumped in surprise as a loud thunk jittered in the lake's pebble shore approximately thirty feet away from her.

 By the lake is where Alana Wallace began her momentarily due Defense Against the Dark Arts homework assignments, and she jumped in surprise as a loud thunk jittered in the lake's pebble shore approximately thirty feet away from her

She set her assignment down and walked cautiously toward the package that had appeared so suddenly, pulled out her wand at the object, and she commanded: "Cistem Aperio." As the box opened, to Alana's surprise nothing  happened as she caused it to open, or in other words: it wasn't a prank.

She carried the package as she set her wand into her pocket, and saw that the package had a letter. In blue ink the words of "Alana Wallace" were embellished onto the paper. The Hufflepuff witch opened the folded parchment and read the ink:

"My dear honey-badger,
Minerva, as you may know as Mrs. McGonagall, has informed your father and I about recent events, the Yule Ball. We wish you to find entertainment in the Triwizard Tournament, as we both had years ago. You'll find something wrapped in wool in this box aswell, enjoy it, my dear. Respond a.s.a.p., your father and I need to know about your school work!
Lovingly, your mother, (and your father, as well!)"

Alana frowned deeply at this and folded the letter into her pocket. She has always knew of how both of her parents had tried to force her into society yet again since her diagnosed condition "forced her into this abyss" as her father said when she overheard her parents arguing late one summer night.

She looked at the holographic fabric that held what seemed to have been protecting a piece of clothing. Alana knew what this was: a dress. She can barely walk around Hogwarts' halls without catching bizarre glances or stares, how would they react to her then?

She carefully unfolded the odd fabric to where it folded over the edges of the box. The Hufflepuff witch whom we've come to adore and love currently stared at what seemed to have been her Yule Ball dress in complete disgust. Rather not at the dress itself, but Alana came to the realization that her parents expected her to wear this to the Yule Ball.

It was a yellow faded dress, and from what Alana could see, there was yellow lace as well. There was a postcard on top of it that hinted its style:

 There was a postcard on top of it that hinted its style:

On the back of the postcard, the words "I hope you like it!" were written, along with the signatures of her mother's

"That dress is ... wondrous, it'll look excellent on you," a voice spoke. Alana looked over at the source of the voice, and saw a face that she had previously seen before: Hermione Granger.

"It just arrived by owl," Alana looked back at the card, then finally put it back into the box, before closing the lid. "I'm assuming that you find the lake comforting aswell? Ever since Harry Potter's name was selected from the Goblet of Fire ... it seems that the grounds have never been as quiet as it has been before."

"Yes, well, — I came here to study for Ancient Runes, but I was wondering if I am welcome here," Hermione continued, her Ancient Runes books at her side. She tucked a stray hair behind her ear, "Weren't you at the first task? I never really introduced myself. I'm Hermione Granger."

"My name is Alana Wallace. And yes, you're welcome here ... the lake is a public place here at Hogwarts. And I have no obligation to deny, so make yourself comfortable," Alana nodded and placed her package down beside her feet, and continued to work on her Defense Against the Dark Arts homework assignments.

The Gryffindor witch smiled at this, and sat next to the Hufflepuff, cracked open her Ancient Runes books deeply in curiosity and acknowledgment.

"You should know that he fancies you by now," Hermione spoke as she continuously read the book entitled: "Study of Ancient Runes."

"What?" Alana said in a hushed tone, she looked up from her book to her newly acquainted acquaintance. "Come again?"

"He fancies you, Alana," Hermione smiled and stared at the Hufflepuff witch.

"Who, Hermione?" Alana's eyes stared unblinkingly, as her mind radiated in thought about how anybody could fancy her.

The Gryffindor witch smiled a certain radiance of faith, Hermione turned fully to the Hufflepuff and acknowledged this situation. "I wasn't supposed to tell you of anything, Alana. But someone fancies you, and his name just so happens to be Neville Longbottom."