xxxiv

"A RETURNED LETTER AND A REUNION, PART ONE"

The date had been the 18th of 1995's July. Neville's response to her letter had not arrived for quite some time now, but Alana Wallace had decided not to fret.

Alana had recovered swiftly from the procedure, but medical professionals suggested that Alana stay in her bedroom and restrict herself from usual activities to recover completely.

Doctor Paddlewinn had begun to visit Alana Wallace more frequently, offering her books or quirky items that Doctor Paddlewinn often said reminded her about Alana. Alana wondered if Doctor Paddlewinn had increased her visits because she worried about Alana or if she was doing it, simply since it was her job.

Alana Wallace appreciated the long-overdue change to her lungs. It was beneficial, since Alana had been terribly sick before being established into the hospital. But this change felt no different since she had been restricted from doing activities that typically anyone would do.

Doctor Paddlewinn stepped into Alana Wallace's room like any other day, hauling in a cart of four individually wrapped presents. "Good morning, Alana. Some gifts arrived for you, I didn't want them ending up in the front office by the time you leave."

"Thank you, I appreciate that," Alana nodded staring at the cartload of presents, wondering how many people had thought of her when the current holiday had rolled around.

"It is no problem," Doctor Paddlewinn began to load each present closest to the wall to the left of the door. Once she had finished, her eyelids slightly opened. "Oh, right, —" she pulled out a small paper of parchment, and handed it to Alana, "— this arrived today."

Alana's face lit up instantly, as she was now reassured that at least someone would send her a letter. Alana held the letter and nodded to Doctor Paddlewinn whom smiled and pulled the cart outside of the room with her. Before exiting and closing the door, she stated, "Your parents are going to be visiting late this afternoon. That's just a heads up, I thought you would have wanted to know."

"That's good to hear," Alana said to herself, feeling the roughness of the parchment between her fingers.  Today, according to Alana, had been her best day so far at St. Mungos Hospital, as she had felt her best physically (since she had been treated), and now there had been a letter from Neville, and her parents were yet to visit her after what had seemed like forever in isolation in a hospital that she had not been familiar with before.

Alana smoothened the places where the parchment had been folded and read the letter. It had definitely been from Neville, but as expected: it had been very formal and not at all formal as Alana had expected it to have been.

The Hufflepuff girl sighed, feeling a sense of hope that she would soon develop more friendships with many other people when she would re-enter the next school year. And perhaps her own and Neville's friendship would develop into something much more stronger.

Alana got up from her bed, sat straight up, and began to work with some breathing exercises that her newly acquainted therapist had told her to complete daily and whenever Alana's lungs had ever began to feel weak.

She sat up from her bed and pulled on a knit sweater that she had stored in her bedroom. Alana turned the knob of her room slowly, nervous if anyone had known that she would be leaving from her dainty room. But lung exercises had not been completely beneficial, as Alana Wallace had thought, so she had made this decision to escape her room that she had familiarized herself with. And Alana had stepped into the hallway.

That had been no restrictions now that seemed to threaten Alana. She had now been hopeful. There had been no oxygen tank anymore that Alana had to haul by her side, which had now been an overall relief.

She let her feet carry Alana to wherever they would take her. It had been the lobby at the front where patients and visitors mingled, sharing hot cocoa drinks or just casually chatting as if the white, bare hospital walls had not given away the hospital vibe that the staff had arranged.

The lobby of St. Mungos had been decorated aswell, as it had been the ultimate centerpiece of the hospital. An inside tree stood in the most open corner, a welcoming fireplace which burned fresh wood was in the middle of the north wall, and elderly people who laughed while playing old board games.

Alana found a large glooming chair which sat close by the fireplace. Alana had been surprised that no one had chosen this, as she considered this particular spot to be the best out of all the hospital's lobby.

She hugged her legs to her chest and stared at the fireplace. And Alana's concentration had been lost in the murmur that radiated constantly within the lobby like white noise.