xxvi

"ST. MUNGOS"

Alana Wallace held her oxygen tank and the belongings that her parents had deemed acceptable to bring to St

Alana Wallace held her oxygen tank and the belongings that her parents had deemed acceptable to bring to St. Mungos down the hallway that connected to many hospital rooms. She followed the lady that she had met yesterday, Doctor Paddlewinn. The doctor seemed more pleasant than she had been yesterday. Perhaps it had been both of her parents' presences that unnerved the grown witch.

They seemed not to be slowing any time soon, so Alana decided to question the lady of some topics. The Hufflepuff girl asked, "Doctor, will my room be far from here?"

"No, dear. Just down this hall," she smiled to her newly enrolled patient. Alana noticed that the end of the hall was a long ways away.

Shouts and screams for help had erupted from a room as they passed it. This motion had also caused Doctor Paddlewinn, who then winced at every shout of the person who must have been producing it. Alana had wished to ask this lady about her wincing and discomfort, but then decided that that notion would be flatly rude.

The noise continued, but faded into the simplicity of small whimpers and cries. They had reached Alana Wallace's room, this room was not like the Muggle hospital rooms that she had once encountered before.

The room that had been presented to her as hers, had a warm and comforting feeling to it. Maple wood consisted of the flooring and the lining of the enormous window that was across from the door of the room. Warm faded yellow curtains were pulled apart, to show the views of a large garden that housed many gems of nature: roses, tulips, vines, and trees that grew upwards.

To the left of her was a moderate bookcase that held many educational books that roamed many school topics or independent topics; like a book about the history of dragons, the magic of numerology, the founders of the Hogwarts houses, and many other books. To her right was posters of many Quidditch teams that shown many grinned players in their colors, and nearby the window was a bed that she had been pleased of.

"I know that this is not what you expected. I and many other of my colleagues have tried to arrange and fill in this room—" the lady started to babble about the conditions of Alana's assigned room.

"No, there is no problem with it, at all. Thank you, doctor, truly — this room is exceptionally not what I had expected fully. It is wonderful," Alana Wallace nodded and observed the fabric of the curtains, that had small vines and roses of a darker shade.

The woman had stayed just at the doorway of the room, she smiled. "Good, it is nice to know that. I had wondered about whether or not you would like books or Quidditch. The consideration in itself is complicated to understand, so both were chosen."

Alana hummed, "There is no issue with it, doctor. You seemed a bit ... disturbed earlier. If I may ask, why have you felt that way?"

"I understand your judgement, Alana," Doctor Paddlewinn paused looking off for a moment, until she returned her focus to the real world. "Everyone in this establishment has had there fair share of issues. In truth, the majority of the staff here were once patients who ... had no place to turn to once cured."

Alana nodded, as she understood the situation. "I'm sorry for asking, doctor. I should have known it would be a sensitive topic."

"No, it is fine," the woman smiled. "I shouldn't be so negative, my emotions have effect on others, especially my patients."

Doctor Paddlewinn continued speaking, "I really do hope you enjoy your stay, Alana. Oh! You'll probably be wondering where the closest restroom is, where the food court is located, and maybe other shops for your needs. There's a portable map on top of your book shelf."

Alana looked to where she had explained, and saw the simple map, "Cool, maps are definitely a necessity."

"Yeah, I'll be leaving now. If you wish to send letters to your friends, just ask the ladies at the front office to deliver them. There's new birds owned by us now, eagles — fast little beasts."

"Alright," Alana Wallace nodded. "I am allowed to walk around the hospital freely. Am I correct?"

"Yes, only between the hours of 7 o'clock and 20 o'clock though," Doctor Paddlewinn corrected her assumption, and left Alana's room, and closed the door shut behind her.